Sharing across subnets

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slid., Jan 22, 2010.

1. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Computer A has an IP of 192.168.1.2.
    Computer B has an IP of 160.160.160.20.

Both computers can ping to each other and Computer A can even FTP to Computer B. I'm trying to share a network drive between the two. Computer B is running HP-UX with CIFS. Computer A is running Windows Server 2003.

When trying the mount the shared drive I'm asked for a password and then the connection times out.

Both computers are plugged into a SonicWall switch configured to dole out either 192.168 or 160.160 depending on the port you plug into -- it's configured to have trust among ports.

What are some things I can look into to try to get sharing working across these subnets?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Put them on the same subnet first. Once you have that working, then move them off.

3. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

Is the Server 2003 box running windows firewall? I know I had this issue on Windows XP where I was required to specify the scope of any additional subnets in the File/Printer Sharing in Windows Firewall. Perhaps you can have a look at that.

4. FormulaLS1

FormulaLS1 Member

Check the local firewalls on both machines

You could also try hanging a switch off the same subnet as the file server with another client machine to help rule out the router/firewall in the middle is messing with traffic.