MMA share your unique training secrets/techniques

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Skeletor, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Aside from your conditioning stuff, what do you do that you've either added to an existing type of training for your art, or that you've possibly even created yourself?

The past few weeks what I've been doing during shadowboxing and bagwork is I'll spend a lot of time imagining I'm being attacked, and practicing dodging movements in ways that allow me to strike and keep a good solid footing once I've moved. Also since my strikes are boring I've begun training to strike from awkward positions and stances when shadowboxing and working the bag... such as throwing combos while crouching and weaving around as if I was dodging attacks.

More or less it's based on imagining a present opponent, and exploring what movements your body is comfortable with, and what movements will both keep you from getting hit, and also leave you in an end position from which you can easily strike... Practicing them over and over and over so that you adopt them into your behavior when putting your art to use.

Through these little tweaks to the common training methods of bagwork and shadowboxing I hope to add some movements to my muscle memory and instinctive behavior so that I can more effectively evade an attack, and so that I can mix up my striking positions so that I'm not as predictable and therefore less vulnerable to counter-attacks.

This may not be anything new, but nearly everyone I see uses bagwork and shadowboxing moving in a straight line to the imaginary opponent or towards the bag, and they don't really treat it like it's attacking back at them, which leaves out the practice of NOT getting hit (evasive defense), which is just as important as your offense.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

another benefit to doing this is the fact that, in the mere few weeks I've been doing this, I find myself striking from southpaw much more comfortably... it's never really felt natural to me, but that's starting to lessen through this training. I'm digging it.

On another note, in a few weeks it will have been a year since my jaw surgery last january (reccomended time off from getting hit in the face or doing aggressive sports), so I can go back to sparring that includes headshots :eek5: I'm tired of this wussy shit.

3. Kuet

Kuet New Member

what happened ? did you get your jaw broken ? i too today started moving back/forth side/side while hitting the bag.... and smoking a cig at the same time !!! :mamoru:

4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i watch a lot of DVDs

5. teep

teep New Member

Haha taking a page from Josh Thompson I see.

I've been doing alot of plyometric stuff and its been making a difference. I can already notice more spring in my step, which means harder kicks and knees.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Other than explosive jumping I really dont' like plyometrics personally. My knees can't take a lot of the stuff that's leg-oriented.

I've always been a fan of bodyweight circuits but the past few weeks I've been doing barbell complexes like in the article that ceaze posted, and I feel a lot more explosive, plus my legs feel more sturdy because I hadn't trained them very hard over the past couple months.

Also the methods in my original post seem to have added some grace to my movement, which sounds gay but oh well... I like it :o

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

yes but not from fighting.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

any special conditioining or flexiblity routines you do that you've come to value?

I know a lot of grapplers just go at it and gain flexiblity and strength that way since it's a great way to do so. One of the reasons why I want to get into it.

9. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

very helpfull when you can disect things down way below what you actually think and can practice small parts of a tecnique :bigthumb:

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

watch LOTS of videos of professionals performing the style of grappling (in my case) that I want to learn.

11. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

basically everybody I know who I consider to be good teaches themselves/looks up techniques and setups during their own time out of class and practices them in addition to everything the instructor teaches.

12. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

James, actually