A&P Share your tips on how to store and manage photos

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by AmosBanks, Oct 27, 2008.

1. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I got a DSLR in March. I have been taking photos and saving them to my laptop. Over the weekend I got a message that my laptop hard drive is full. My DSLR photos take up 18GB on my laptop. I need to put the photos someplace else and I need to establish a process I can follow to store future photos.

Please share what you do when you return home from taking photos. I am not at the point where I go through each photo for color correction, cropping, etc. Don't bother mentioning what you do to each photo. I am strictly referring to mass storage and cataloging for future reference. Do you use any on-line places (Shutterfly, etc) or do you just save on something portable like this http://tinyurl.com/5ztlzz ? Do you also burn to CD/DVD? Thank you for any assistance you can give a noob!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

my desktop has 3x750s so I just store it all right on here. I use lightroom

I transfer some recent favorites to my laptop and view/ manage them with Adobe bridge

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

-Keep only good ones – ones you would show to the world.
    -Shoot RAW and store RAW and XMPs. Absolutely ZERO reason to keep JPGS unless you do some touching up in PS, and you should be saving those as TIFF or PSD for archiving and JPGs only for the web.
    -After I decide which ones are keepers I add all the EXIF data in Bridge.
    -I then create a folder and name it for the location and date i.e., "Zoo 10-15"
    -Save it all to my WD external HDD and call it a day.

From here, if I want to post jpegs online or make a contact sheet for clients, I just open the RAW files and process them for web or whatever.

Every so often I will back up onto DVD and store that in a cool, dry, UV-free area.

:dunno: works for me.

4. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

i guess. imo ZERO reason to save any raws, unless its an extremely good picture. i've never gone back and redeveloped a picture after ive exported it to JPEG. waste of space in my opinion.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

my PP skills are always getting better, and sometimes I go back and make prints of old stuff.

6. isaac86hatch

Zing!

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I shoot raw, delete shitty pictures, export good to excellent pictures to jpeg and only keep raws of excellent pictures.

I store my images on my computer's HDD; for backup purposes I use DVDs (2 copies) and an external HDD.

8. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

- i don't delete anything unless it's obviously crap (shutter went off with the lens cap on, etc)
    - shoot everything in raw
    - have a 4x 750gb NAS
    - folder structure goes YEAR - MONTH - DESCRIPTIVE EVENT NAME MMDDYYYY
    - all exported (used) pics go in an exported folder inside the event folder

i've backed up prior years to DVD, but it's a giant pain in the ass. i'll probably start backing up stuff remotely to my office after hours

9. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Forgot to mention, I backup to a separate HDD on my computer in case one crashes.

If all else fails, I have a copy of just about everything on my smugmug and I could just order a backup CD from them if my computer caught on fire or something...

10. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I have 'my' folder, and I have a photography folder. My folder contains my nikon pics, random pics, and other stuff I have. Photog folder holds, well, pgotography stuff I do. Kid shots, weddings, events, etc. When I download files, I make a folder under the appropriate section and transfer ALL the RAW files I took. The, I make a JPEG folder inside that folder to tranfer my edited pics I would upload. I open LR, tranfer from the RAW folder, when I'm done editing, I tranfer the edited pics (in original size) as jpeg to the jpeg folder. That way, it keeps my raw files on LR, and my edited jpegs are ready to use when I need them.

For weddings, I have a DNG folder too just in case the clients want the digital negatives.

Works for me... all this is on an external HD too.

11. isaac86hatch

I can only imagine how many shots you have saved that you will never ever have a use for. Just seems like such a waste. Then again, storage is cheap.

12. johan

johan Active Member

I found dvd backup to be slow and its cumbersome when a single shoot (folder) spans several dvd's.

1T drives are cheap enough that I'm just using those for archiving.

13. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

pretty much.

i've got ~2.5TB of space between my nas and my main machine, and i don't really have any idea what i'm doing. i'm certainly no professional photographer. :o

14. Spurious

Spurious New Member

1. Shoot in RAW with standard numbering.
    2. Import into Lightroom as dated folders with tags into a dedicated external drive.
    3. Dump the entire contents of the memory card onto an archival quality DVD (slow write + verify) label with date and brief description.
    4. HEAVY first round culling of anything that isn't good with Lightroom flags.
    5. Entire library backup to second drive which I alternate every week with an identical one I keep in an offsite safe.
    6. I truecrypt my library the first of every month and upload it to Amazon S3.

15. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

holy shit dude