A&P Share your custom settings

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mutombo, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

With the high degree of customization available in all our cameras, I thought it would be helpful to share some of the custom settings we use. For me, I use:

1) ISO expansion on
    2) Set button while shooting to enter Live View
    3) AF with AF-ON while in live view enabled
    4) AF point quick selection with joystick
    5) NR off

I've also been tweaking my custom user modes (C1, C2, and C3 on the 40D). In the custom modes, I have it setup to AF with AF-ON button instead of shutter button (will swap this to AF with "*" button once I get a grip). I prefer to separate the AF and AE lock, but only do this in the custom functions so that if someone else uses my camera in one of the normal modes, the shutter button controls both focus and exposure. Saves me the hassle of trying to explain the two button system to people not familiar with it.

C3 - this is my "get the shot" setting. I have it setup for aperture priority at f/2.8, ISO 400, spot metering, high speed continuous drive, and AI servo focus. It's nice to have in the C3 slot because if I quickly need to get a shot all I do is turn the mode dial clockwise all the way and it's ready to fire, raw files.

C2 - my HDR mode. AV mode, f/8, 1/250 shutter, ISO 100, evaluative metering, low speed continuous drive, single shot AF, auto exposure bracketing, mirror lockup, live view, raw files.

C1 - this is the mode I normally shoot in. Manual mode, f/2.8, 1/250 shutter, ISO 100, evaluative metering, single drive, single Shot AF, raw files.

For all the custom modes, I changed the option in the menu (buried somewhere) that causes the camera to sleep after a minute. I think I extended it to sleep after about 10 minutes. This is to prevent the camera from "forgetting" any temporary changes to the custom modes that I've made while shooting if the camera were to fall asleep and wake up again.

So post up your custom settings or "tricks" that you've programmed into your cameras. I figure a few of us may learn a few things about how to get the most out of our cameras.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I use C1 for astrophotos. Looks something like this;

1) ISO 1600
    2) RAW file type
    3) Noise reduction OFF
    4) Red eye OFF
    5) Custom WB for my astronomix CLS light pollution filter
    6) Shutter time on BULB