GUN SF gun BAN BILL PASSES

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 70Machwon, Nov 9, 2005.

1. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

DAMN freakin San Francisco. Passed a handgun ban bill today. News said it a bit early.

Sucks for all the handgun owners in SF, and the future of target shooting in SF itself.:sadwavey:

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

3. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

I hope so.

4. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

What?! How did I miss this? Damn I knew those kommie bastards would somehow pull this shit off. What were the voting statistics? Was it a landslide vote or no?

Edit: wait, wasnt it a OUTRIGHT ban on ALL weapons. Not just handguns?

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Just handguns, but they are completely banned. No grandfathering, all handguns must be turned in to the police within 90 days or so.

The one upside to this is that it will miserably fail at reducing crime, and we can say, like with DC, "remember SF?" when someone says that a gun ban will reduce crime.

6. Ghostrider4450

That and Chicago. Both are wonderful examples of how gun conrol in the form of outright bans never work.

7. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Yea, only hanguns. You either need to sell them out of city, or turn them in for destruction.

freakin miserable. I am pissed.

8. Ghostrider4450

:wtc:

Whatchoo got?

9. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

That is how it fuckin starts. First, 50 cal across the state. Now all handguns, in 1 city. Jesus, what a fucked up place.

10. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

i would not pay for a .50 cal, but i dont agree with the ban. Handguns i dont own, plus i dont life in SF. I plan to own when im 21, but this is a HUGE step away from the solution. Damn the uninformed.

Nothing. but damn them for thinking this will help

11. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

:uh: :madfawk: :weak:
    etc. What a bunch of idiots.
    At least I don't live IN the city.

12. Ghostrider4450

Yeah and we need those .50s for when we rebel against the Gvt. :mamoru:

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Just like we need 5.7s, 45s, 40s, or 9s. All we really need a 22 and it's all good. :ugh:

14. Ghostrider4450

:hsd:

15. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

When the dumbass liberals in my school say, "gun control laws and gun bans keep guns out of criminals' hands, so they're good."
    I say, "but criminals won't kill or rob anybody anyway, thats against the law."
    They say, "but criminals don't care about the law."
    "SO WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY CARE ABOUT GUN LAWS!?"

16. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

It makes so much SENSE!!! WOW!

17. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Too bad it will take years for them to see the folly of their ways.

When crime starts to go up, and it will, they will do everything they can EXCEPT repeal the gun ban to try to fix it.

Idiots.

18. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

they will fight them away with their man purses now :mamoru:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=elections&id=3618406
    San Francisco Voters Approve Handgun Ban

Nov. 8 - Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters Tuesday.

With 100 percent of San Francisco precincts reporting, 58 percent of voters backed the proposed gun ban while 42 percent opposed it.

Measure H prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and make it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses.

Only two other major U.S. cities -- Washington and Chicago -- have implemented such sweeping handgun bans.

Supervisor Chris Daly, who proposed the measure, said the victory showed that "San Francisco voters support sensible gun control."

Citing statistics that show most homicides in the city involve handguns, Daly said "every life that's saved with Proposition H is a big win."

Although law enforcement, security guards and others who require weapons for work are exempt from the measure, current handgun owners would have to surrender their firearms by April.

A coalition led by the National Rifle Association has said it plans to challenge the initiative in court, arguing that cities do not have the authority to regulate firearms under California law.

Davey Jones, chairman of the Committee to Oppose Handgun Ban, said a recent wave of gun violence in the city may have hurt his campaign, but opponents believe the right to possess handguns is necessary for self-defense.

"We focused our message to seniors and to women and to the gay community," Jones said. "Of course we're disappointed. We believe that we did not get the message out."

The military recruitment initiative also won with 60 percent in favor and 40 percent against.

Measure I, dubbed "College Not Combat," opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not ban the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.

Instead, Proposition I encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military's appeal to young adults.

"We now have the moral weight of the city behind us, and it's definitely a valuable asset to have in our corner," said Bob Matthews, a College Not Combat activist, adding that the victory would help put pressure on the government to someday institute an actual ban on campus military recruiting.

19. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Enjoy living in that shithole!

Do you even get any compensation if you have your pistol taken? :ugh:

20. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

sell them to a friend outside the city for $1 so you can at least have them in case you ever move.....buy a shotgun.

What a rediculous place:hsugh:

21. JAFAR

JAFAR FPS whore OT Supporter

WTF.... I can't believe that.

22. texchef

texchef Guest

So....who wants to sell me their pistol?

23. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

SO a bunch of cheap guns being sold on gun broker :x:

24. Ghostrider4450

"Although law enforcement, security guards and others who require weapons for work are exempt from the measure, current handgun owners would have to surrender their firearms by April."

You dont say? Jesus the audacity of some people kills me. It will be interesting to read about what the NRA tries to do with this bullshit.

25. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

NRA to File Lawsuit Challenging
    San Francisco Gun Ban​

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Fairfax, VA - Even with opposition from San Francisco law enforcement and major media outlets, Proposition H -- a measure banning the lawful possession, sale and manufacture of handguns and ammunition within city limits -- passed yesterday. The National Rifle Association (NRA) will file a lawsuit challenging this severe gun ban.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre stated, “We are disappointed, but this fight is just beginning. Lawful residents of San Francisco are being stripped of their freedom because of an illegal measure that defies common sense. We will fight this outrageous assault on the rights of law-abiding San Franciscans and I believe that we will prevail.”

Many San Francisco residents who initially supported the ban changed their opinion after NRA and local volunteers began voter education efforts throughout the city. The campaign received an additional boost when the San Francisco Police Officers Association condemned the gun ban, declaring it would "nullify the personal choice of city residents to lawfully possess a handgun for self-defense purposes.” Major San Francisco newspapers also voiced opposition to Proposition H.

In response to the passage of this proposition, NRA will lead a coalition of organizations to immediately file a lawsuit against this illegal ban in San Francisco. Proposition H, in addition to violating federal guarantees, also violates various California state laws and is therefore preempted.

Chris W. Cox, NRA’s chief lobbyist, concluded, “This is a hollow victory for the gun control lobby because this scheme is in clear violation of California law. We will file suit and fight this to the highest courts in the country until good sense prevails once again in San Francisco.”

-‑nra‑‑
    Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and to advocate enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the armed services.