Severe ghosting on one of my CRT monitors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by steve3p0, Dec 30, 2005.

1. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

Currently I have two monitors plugged into my system. There are two DVI ports on the back of my video card. Both of my monitors are VGA, so I have to use a VGA->DVI connector(looks like this [​IMG]) for each of them to hook them up to the card. My older 17" monitor looks fine, but there is extreme ghosting on my newer 19" monitor. To illustrate the effect, I created a crude graphic in photoshop:

[​IMG]

thats basically what everything looks like, it is very annoying.

I have noticed that it is worse sometimes more than others. Sometimes it is hardly noticeable. The other day I could have swore I was looking at an image and it looked fine, then all of a sudden something "clicked" and the ghosting appeared again. (maybe it really is a ghost? :ugh:)

Here are some things I have tried so far to remedy the problem:

I removed the 17" monitor - no effect
    I switched the VGA->DVI connectors of the good monitor and the bad - no effect
    I updated the drivers of both monitors - no effect
    I tried adjusting the contrast/brightness - no effect
    I tried changing the position of the monitor cable to move it as far away from the other cables underneath my desk to reduce "interference" - no effect

I tried plugging the ghosting monitor into another computer in another room and it looks absolutely fine. The video card on this machine has a vga input, so no adaptor is needed.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

That's strange. CRT's should not be ghosting. Try checking the refresh rate of the monitor and the game you are playing. If anything, it sounds like your video card or monitor is buggin' out. Borrow someoen elses monitor and see if that works.

3. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

CRT ghosting isnt the same as LCD ghosting. It doesnt have to do with the screen refreshing, its like there is a copy of whatever is on the screen. The ghosting appears everywhere, not just in games, but in windows.

here, i made another crude graphic, this is what the reply box on offtopic.com looks like:

[​IMG]

it is not something that only happens when the image is moving. its ALWAYS there.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Oh. I have that on my monitor. I'm just assuming it's because it's an old monitor. I've had it since '95. :o

5. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

have you tried changing the refresh rate?

6. steve3p0

steve3p0 New Member

yes.

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Try banging it a few times, if that don't work get a new monitor.

You say you have two monitors.. swap them. If that monitor is still doin it and the other one is fine it's the monitor. Monitors die over time... sounds like it's time to upgrade.