Several questions about heavily scratched paint.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Cue-Ball, May 10, 2004.

1. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

Jan 14, 2002
    I'm planning to do a complete detail of my wife's car soon. I washed it this weekend and the paint is completely hosed. I don't have pics, but it looks about the same as Don_Rumsfeld's car. The car is black with blue pearl, but is scratched and rock chipped beyond repair. I know the car really needs to be repainted, but want to try to salvage what i can since we plan to sell it soon.

So, on to the questions:

1) I have a bottle of Klasse AIO and a bottle of Klasse SG. Will the AIO be strong enough to remove anything more than minor swirl marks, or should i just go straight to the DACP and not bother wasting my time? The paint on this car is VERY badly scratched and chipped.

2) Assuming i buy the DACP, do i need to follow up with SFP? Or can i just apply several coats of DACP, then go straight to a polish?

3) Other than touch-up paint, what can i do to minimize the appearance of rock chips? Wax collects on the edges and makes them stand out even more.

4) Is there a locally available clay bar product that's worth buying? Both of the products listed in the products sticky are not available in the local Shucks or Napa.
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax The Detailing EDU is stickied in the Detailing for Moderator

May 5, 2000
    1. AIO is a chemical cleaner. It has no mechanical abrasives that I am aware of. You need something stronger.

2. If you use DACP by hand, then yes, I would follow with SFP. By PC, you can probably go to a lighter glaze.

3. No other options that I know of.

4. Clay Magic has a great clay bar.