A&P Several photography questions.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by zaphod, Mar 3, 2005.

1. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

I saw this site, and I was wondering how some of these effects were done. The pictures are incredible, and it even inspired me to get a new SLR (my old one broke, and I opted for digital. Other than taking drunk pictures, it's not really useful for this type of photography).

1. How do you think this photographer got these pictures to look so dramatic? My B&W's have always looked like semi-washed out pieces of gray shit. :o I'm amazed how he even achieved this look. Maybe it's just because I'm a newb and it's really not that hard, but even after a photography class I don't really get it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I'm really looking to do unique photography, and in addition to some awesome black and white (as above) I kind of want to try this: http://www.lostamerica.com (click nighttime photography). How hard is tungsten slide film to develop ($), and is it expensive to buy?

3. What types of filters could I use that would make my pictures a lot more interesting? Not as a crutch, but for an artistic approach. I'm sure this is a dumb question, but do they have any filters that can imitate infrared film? I've always loved infrared and the way it looks, but unfortunately my old camera had a slight hole in it and it would ruin the film (so I never bought any.. it was also too expensive). I'm referring to filters for both color and black and white, which would make the pictures look very unique (ie weird colors, inverted colors, super high contrast etc etc).

2. mojito

mojito New Member

First one is either a lot of filters or IR

2nd one just looks like some PS work, the sky and shadows would never really appear that way in the real world, but some filters were probably used as well.

polarizing filters are a must, nuetral density filters can be very useful, then theres the color correcting filters used in B&W to accenuate certain things or change the color temperature or tint of a color picture.

for filter ideas, check out the cokin P series of filters, hundreds of different ones, both color correcting/polarizing and special effect one.

3. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

4. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

5. interstate

interstate New Member

hey broly, i'll talk to you about this later.. it interests me too and i want to learn more about stuff like this..

6. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

Awesome :bigthumb: When I saw the link, I was going to talk to you but you just got off line.
    I really want to try this now
    Ill talk to you later though :cool:

7. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

This is fucking brilliant. I really want to do this now :eek3:

[​IMG]

8. insomnia

insomnia New Member

very interesting

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i don't see what is so hard about it? You setup your composition and take the photo...

and sorry, but there is nothing brilliant about it. Actually, that Lost American site is quite lame.

10. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

:goyou:

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

In b/w photography a red filter will dramatically enhance the contrast between the white clouds and the blue sky. In color photography, a polarizer filter will do the same depending on the angle of the light. A graduated ND (neutral densentity) filter will do the same, as it darkens the sky but leaves the foreground neutral.