Sever?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by arabgangsta, Jan 10, 2005.

1. arabgangsta

arabgangsta New Member

I have a dsl connection with 786/256. I also have a computer laying around. Would it be worth it to turn it into a server? Any suggestions on what kind of server it should be. I was thinking about running Redhat Enterprise edition Or windows server 2003 on it. It's a 1.4 amd duron 40gb harddrive 728mb sdram.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

256Kbps is gonna go for a SLOW server.

I wouldn't do any big file hosting on it, or post anything on OT -- it'll kill ya and people will complain about speeds.

3. arabgangsta

arabgangsta New Member

What kind of internet connection would you recommend?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, consider this: Your upstream bandwidth is really all that you need to worry about. Because everytime someone loads something from your server, you upload it to them. So, at 256Kbps, a 1MB file would take approximately 32 seconds. However, with a server, many people could be trying to grab a file. So if you were to post a 200k pic here, 1 viewer would do it in about 6.25 seconds... But 10 viewers brings you down to 62.5 seconds. That's pretty slow.

Honestly, I would not consider hosting anything for OT unless you had at *least* a megabit of upstream bandwidth... And that is only acceptible for small picture hosting. If you wanted to host pr0n in the "hotties" section, then you easily need a dedicated server with a 10Mbps (but preferably 100Mbps) uplink.

So in terms of what connection I recommend, it depends entirely on what you wish to accomplish.

For you, you can download a 100MB file in about 18 minutes. But now imagine that you're that server... Instead of just your 768Kbps connection, you're hosting several. So with only 3 people downloading at a fairly slow speed for broadband (768Kbps) you need at least 2.25Mbps.