setting up wireless netowrking in a Frat House

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Aznpho, May 26, 2003.

1. Aznpho

Aznpho Not Currently in Use

so i'm goign to be living in an 18 person fraternity house next year.. and we want to do wireless internet and stuff...

can u guys help me out and tell me what i need and why...and prices if u could.. and what to buy etc...

thanks alot..

how much is liek T1 service?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I think the other thread mostly sumed it up. Wireless will be hella slow with that many people. Might want to take the time to run CAT5 to everyone and get a used 24 port 10/100 switch.

As for service, cable might not be bad depending on how heavy you use it. Might wan to look around for some different DSL service that has better speeds. If all else fails go for multiple cable or DSL connections. A t-1 is going to cost alot and for downloads will not be much faster than cable or DSL.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

24p 10/100?

try a 24p 10/100/1000 :big grin: that would make ur deathmatches MUCH more fun :big grin: but its more expensive and you could just run fiber.

how much do you have to work with? $$$?

if u go 24p 10/100 here is a price (est) in cnd.
    24p HUB (10/100): $100
    20 NICS (2 extra just incase something happens_: $200 ($10 per)
    For cable i'd go out and buy a box of cat5 10/100 UTP. i think 1000' is around $100, but i could be off.
    u will also need crimpers, and do medium price, or u will make a lot of bad cables. $25
    rj45 ends: $25 for 100. (makes 50 cables)
    so thats $450 between 18 guys? not a bad deal.

wireless would be much more expensive.
    gateway/access point: $200
    18 WNIC: $2250 ($125 per)
    so thats $2450 between 18 guys..

you will also get better speeds with a wired network vs a wireless network with so many guys unless u really wanna for out big $$$.

if you want anymore info myself or matt86 (uses my account since i got him banned) can help u. just e-mail, or IM or PM.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

You can get a used 24 port switch for less than $100

If they lived in the dorms prior to this there is a good chance that alot of the members already have computers with NICS.

Wired is definately the way to go.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yeah true, 90% of pc's have NICs in them (o/b or card)

oh for a connection, i would go with 2-3 cable connections, (depending on ur provider, if it were shaw (my provider) for 18 guys, 2 would be sufficent.) or u can look at t1, t3 lines. t1 isnt as fast as cable, but you can have more going though and it wont slow down as much.