Setting up SBCYahoo DSL...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tenplanescrashing, May 23, 2005.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

with a Linksys wireless router. I know you are supposed to use the software they give you in order to setup your connection but since the router will be inline, that, to my understanding, won't work. I setup my earthlink dsl a few years ago without using the software and never had a problem but from what I heard, sbcyahoo is different.

its the only high-speed service in my mom's area so there isn't any other option. Has anyone been able to get around the software issue or know something I don't?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Is it PPPoE? If so, just setup your router using your login/pass.

3. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

You say DSL, which means that you will have a DSL modem. The DSL modem will probably be using PPPOE, so try this first.

Set up your router with your username/pw and set it up for PPPOE dialup. Hit connect.

You should be ready to rock. If not, check your docs to make sure that it's a PPPOE modem and not some other bizarre setup. In atlanta, I had no DSL modem. I had a burried CAT5 to the edge of my yard where a DSLAM was plugged right into the pipe. I used my own firewall setup with several distros of linux and roaring penguin ppp over ethernet (rpppoe).

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I hope it is pppoe because that is how my earthlink was and it was incredibly easy. but she doesn't even have her username or password yet. :dunno: