Setting up network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shaggy007, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

This is going to be slightly confusing because it's a little confusing to me as well.

I have a broadband connection and I need want to connect a router to it. Simple right, well the only problem is that whenever I attach a computer to this that I have to add the proxy information to be able to use the network.

I don't get any information on what type of network it is, but I'm told by my boss that "it's a VPN". :ugh:

I just want to be able to a connect computer and not have to add that proxy info and ports all the time, I haven't seen on any routers/switches with the option to do this and I'm trying to stick to off the shelf items. :x:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You've confused us all. I don't even know where to start.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

It seems like you need a VPN client to connect to the VPN network. :dunno:

4. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Sorry.

Ok let me try again. I have a broadband connection at work. For some reason because of the way the network is set up I have to add the proxy information for any computer that connects, IP and port. It wont allow me to get any traffic at all without telling IE the proxy info.

What I need is an off the shelf Router/Switch that will allow it so that I don't have to keep adding the proxy info for every computer that I attach to the router/switch. The normal router that I have doesn't have any options even resembling what I need.

I do a lot of computer swapping and it gets annoying entering that info. And I don't want to set up a linux box to do the work for me just yet.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Well then any off the shelf router will work. The router will provide DHCP services (hand out IP's) and do all of the routing you need to do. It's really simple nowadays. Plug and play.

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Do I understand this correctly?

Your at work and when you say you have a broadband connection your referring to the company having the access.

You have a network connection to this network that has the broadband access.

On this network there is an authenticating proxy allowing access to the internet on this broadband connection.

You want a way to plug in multiple machines to a single device and not have to add the proxy settings to each machine. (something like 10.1.1.1, 192.167.1.1 or server name and then port 80, 8080 or 3128)

If I have that correct, I don’t think your going to find an off the shelf product that will allow you to do what you want to. I guess it would be possible to build a Linux machine to do port forwarding and authentication.

So what’s the big deal entering an IP address and a Port? If its a MS Proxy/ISA Server you can use trusted authentication by setting the client users credentials the same as the proxy credentials. But then you MIGHT have to install the Socks client.

7. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

the router has nothing to do with it, you still have to configure the browser with the proxy info. you can use an autoconfig script, but you would need to push that script location to the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ key and make a string value called AutoConfigURL that contains the location of the script.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Why even have a proxy server? There's no need for one when you have a router?

9. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

That's exactly the situation, I'm sorry for being unclear, it had been a while since I got any sleep. The big deal is that I switch in and out computers about 8 times a day atleast. It just annoys me to have to add in that info to every computer every time.

I was just hoping to use something off the shelf to do the authentication. If that's not possible then it's to linux :naughty: