Setting up Dual Displays

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psujeeperman02, Apr 27, 2006.

1. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

How do i set up a dual display config on my win xp desktop?

I have one Nvidia card installed now, and my friend just gave me his nvidia card because he just got a new pc.

My pc is about 3 years old, so dont think it has two AGP slots...but it may....i will find out soon.

Is there any special software i need to install to enable both monitors to work together?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ultramon

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Your PC will not have two AGP slots. Either you would need an AGP card with two display outputs, or an AGP and a PCI video card.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Ultramon will add new physical outputs to a video card? Sweet, maybe it is worth the money after all.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You don't need any special software, XP and the card drivers will handle it just fine. Ultramon will add some nice features but it is NOT required. You do need a video card with two outputs though. Almost any new card these days has two outputs (usually 1 VGA and 1 DVI which can be converted to VGA if needed). You can't put two AGP cards into one system. The spec just doesn't support more than one on a board (of it it does I've never seen one).

6. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Well, i have a PCI video card stashed away in my company's storage room. Im pretty sure no one will ever need this again, so i think i will take it home with me and give it a try. I know i def have a few PCI slots open so this should fit just find. Now, to find the drivers for this old pci video card.................

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Note also that not all cards with two outputs can actually drive dual monitors. They need to be separate heads.

That said, I think all new video cards with two outputs are dual-headed. My FX5200 from about 5 years ago drives two monitors just great.

8. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

dawt.

I love UltraMon too... very neat features. But i still got by for about a year before i found out about it just running with the XP features and whatever nVidia came with.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

True, but I can't think of anything recently made that has two ports and is not dual head.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Dell had a Precision Workstation model with dual AGP slots. Used a funky ServerWerks chipset to do it. As far as I know, Intel never developed a production chipset for this.