Setting up and ftp @ home...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rumperpumper, Sep 10, 2004.

1. rumperpumper

rumperpumper New Member

is it easy and is there any usful resources any where to aid me?

:bigthumb:

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It opens up a hole in your security, but if you do it properly then it can be relatively safe and pretty handy if you need to transfer files between places often.

3. rumperpumper

rumperpumper New Member

oh and also it is going through a router that has its own firewall if that makes any difference!

4. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Hum... if you just want something for your private network, and happens to have XP Pro, you can try IIS.

NOTE: IIS is very very very very insecure. I don't mind use it in my private network though.

If you want to have an ftp exposed to the outside network, then you have a hell lot of options. There are many ftp servers for windows, but I had actually recommand that you download and install an very basic and minimal CYGWIN, and run ftpd in there. CYGWIN will in a sense create a virtual machine in your system. So even if the ftp server got owned, it takes more work to own your whole system.

p.s. I do use IIS myself in my private LAN and feel comfortable about it. I do however also have a webserver and ftp exposed to the whole internet, and I use a linux box for it. (moving back to OpenBSD soon)

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I use Serv-U as a personal FTP server on my home network to transfer files from my work PC to home.

It's pretty easy to setup even with a router. I have port 21 forwarded to the machine it's on and ports 50000-50049 for Passive mode...

If you do a google search, you should find a bunch of writeups.

6. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Might wanna try Filezilla. It has both a client and a server. I've only been using them for a couple days, but they seem pretty good. Serv-U is good too, but not free as I recall (unless you "aquire" it by other means).

Setting up a server (especially one the internet can access) can be tricky if you haven't done it before and/or don't know much about networking. I can't offer any "guides" off the top of my head, but I'm sure google has that covered. Fooling around with the program options can also shed a lot of light. If you are behind a router/firewall, make sure the ports (20-21) are unblocked and forwarded to the local IP of the machine the server runs on.