Setting up a wireless network in a 2,400sq/f warehouse

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bear Klaw, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

Is this possible? if so, what type of devices would i need to do this. The ware house is full of huge metal racks, filled with mostly pallets. we want to have wireless access all around the building. My boss also wants to be able to transmit through a concert wall, which i doubt is possible.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Build a WIRED network and connect as many wireless access points to it as needed to cover the warehouse.

3. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

that is what i was thinking, what brand do you recommend. we used a link sys, and even when it was ten feet away from the laptop, the single strength was only 52%, all the metal in here must be causing interference.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

What's your budget? That will play largely in what equipment you should purchase.

5. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

unlimited, but the cheaper the better

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Mount the antennas on the ceiling for best clearance around large objects, which I'm guessing you will have since you're installing the system in a warehouse.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It depends on the warehouse, but generally I would say most have support beams. Easier to mount them on that. Also less likely to get knocked off by a forklift.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I was thinking, though that mouting antennas on metal beams would reduce the antenna to a 180-degree broadcast sweep, whereas mounting them on the ceiling would let them aim straight down and in all directions with virtually no obstruction.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

2400 sq ft? That's like 60' x 40' - one AP should do it.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it's long and narrow, maybe would need more than one. Shape and construction of the structure is going to affect things a lot.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well a broken access point isn't gonna go even zero degrees :)

12. 7960

7960 New Member

-metal is going to fuck you up...multipath is going to fucking own you, hard

-whatever is on the pallets is going to fuck you up...especially when you set up the network and it's working nearly like you want it, and then you move a few pallets and you create a HUGE dead spot

-mounting higher is better, but like jolly said MAKE SURE you can't hit it with a forklift. That may mean mounting an AP at the end of an aisle and shooting the signal down the aisle.

-do you want seamless roaming or just to connect from wherever you are? If you want a signal that won't disconnect as you walk across the floor you can multiply your budget by 10, maybe 20. If you just want a connection where you're standing that won't be bad.

-I'm partial to cisco's aironet equipment (1200s, especially) because
    ...I've set it up before
    ...It was fairly easy to set up
    ...You can lock down access on the AP without needing an external server, or you can use a separate authentication server if you want to expand later
    ...For what you get they're not that expensive. Sure a 1200 is $150 on ebay, but one 1200 will cover more than 2 linksys APs will because it'll better handle all the distortion you're going to get in the warehouse, *and* you'll have a ton more options for antennas.
    ...You'll get to play with cisco shit on your boss's dime :mamoru:

-what's that wall made of? Tell your boss you're going to need one more AP than you originally thought and put it in there and save yourself a shitload of his bitching about not getting a connection in there. I learned a long time ago, the little things that people say at the end are REALLY what they want. "And see if you can get a signal in there" really means "I want a signal in there and I'm justifying the cost by putting wireless everywhere else."

My suggestion, buy 4 aironet 1200s and you'll cover 90% of the warehouse and more than half of the auditorium. Or buy 5 of these 1100s and be done (link)

13. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

thanks for your help

14. 7960

7960 New Member

I thought about this more...I'd definitely get the 1100s, probably 5 but 4 might do. Buy one omni antenna and stick it in the AP in teh middle of the warehouse, and buy 3 or 4 directional antennas and put them closer to the edges. Make sure to mount the antennas as far from metal as possible. We used to put mount a 2x4 or some other piece of wood between the ceiling joists so it couldn't move, then mount the antenna to that so it had as much distance from metal as possible.

think about the inside of that warehouse as if it was covered in mirrors and you had a flashlight and were trying to illuminate one single spot........you can't do it. Same for the RF... it's going to bounce all over the place so the same signal is going to hit the antenna multiple times (multipath). If you can keep the antenna as far from metal as reasonably possible it'll help.

15. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

i just got a wireless-g range expander, i am going to try it out today if i get time