Setting up a website for easy update

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blair, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Blair

Blair New Member

I am pretty computer savy myself however i have no web design skills. I will be hiring a web designers to set up our small business website however i want to be able to do updates and add information myself in the future. What is going to be the best way to have the website built so it is easy to keep current and add new content? Thanks for the help guys.

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

The simple answer is a dynamic web site will allow you to keep your site up to date.

The trick is how its implemented. Not sure if thats your ultimate question. The next trick is what is the goal of your web site? Then its a matter of finding a solution which will fit the goal...

3. curtis_rak

curtis_rak Guest

An add/edit/delete system done through either PHP or ASP (and their respective databases) isnt too terribly difficult.

There are a lot of samples and tutorials on these types of systems for both languages.

edit: I just finished a PHP/MySQL one a week or so ago and it went pretty well. A couple of bugs to work out, but its definately slicker than having some client, or yourself try to update content through FrontPage afterwords.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep, that's what I'd do. Have a PHP frontend to add/edit/delete content, then dynamic menus and pages to display the content.

5. Blair

Blair New Member

is there a certain "distro" of php to use or is that just a programing language and the designer should use that to build the page?

6. Penguin Man

PHP is just a language that can be installed on a server and used by a designer/programmer to build the page. To do what we're talking about you'll need a database on the backend as well, probably mySQL, since that's PHP's database of choice.

7. Blair

Blair New Member

the company that hosts my page should have mySQL correct?

8. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

learn html? (its not hard at all) use a basic web design program, best bet is to just learn it dont get in deep just learn the basics, its not hard and it doesnt hurt to know more.

9. Blair

Blair New Member

what kind of program would allow me to add my own drop down menus and information request forms?

10. Penguin Man

Yep, their servers should have PHP/mySQL and if they don't then switch hosting companies.

11. Benson

Benson Guest

ok im very new to this too but this is what i did - d/l the 30 day trial of macromedia dreamweaver mx 2004 and use one of the templates to set up a website in php
    there are interesting css tutorials on the site too
    once you have it set up its very easy to just open up macromedia and edit it.

12. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Here's where I'm going to say it depends on your goals, how much money and how much time you have.

If you have money, but no time, then hire a consultant to help out on the site.

If you don't have money, but you have time, then spend some time learning HTML/CSS/PHP etc.

If you don't have time or money then you're kind of stuck and I'd recommend finding a consultant.

If this is the first time you're putting together an e-commerce solution, find a consultant NOW. Unless you have supernatural coding powers, you're first web app will be chock full of issues and mistakes (which you didn't mean for, but you may not have known better).

13. Penguin Man

I don't get the impression that he's setting up ecommerce, just a website.

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've been hanging out at phpbuilder.com too long. There's some folks over there that want to learn web dev and PHP and decide an e-comm site is the way to go. I figure I cover all the bases...