Setting up a server on Linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kyubiz, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Kyubiz

Kyubiz New Member

I wanted to host a small message board, so I downloaded and installed PHP and MySQL on my server which runs Red Hat version 8. I just downloaded phpBB, but what do I do now? How do I set up Apache to host it? I'm a n00b at Linux and server stuff.

2. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Have you been to apache.org. There are plenty of information there on how to install apache on your machine.. Basically, you are going to install your software, and just point to the webpage. That's all.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

For ease, go ahead and do a clean install with everything. This will come with a new version of PHP, MySQL, and Apache. Then download www.webmin.com and start your Apache server. It's really simple using WebMin. BTW, you should download Invision instead. Their software is VERY good. :)

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

After installing Apace and MySQL, the documents for phpBB should have pretty good instructions on how to install the message board.

You might have to create some users, db's and tables in MySQL but that is well documented in the MySQL webpage and with included documentations. And like CompiledMonkey webmin is a great GUI for working with MySQL db's.

BTW, you should never use a full install for running a server. The more stuff you have running the more likely it is that something is going to be vounerable, and you are going to get h4x0red.

6. Queso Grande

Queso Grande New Member

I just went through the same thing with PHP, Apache and Interbase. It took me awhile to figure it out, but I stuck with it. Only advice to you is to google the error messages you get, it worked on some obscure ones i was getting.

7. Dommi

Dommi Guest

first install mysql...

if you have the rpm, that might be easiset.

rpm -i mysql.x.x.x.x.rpm

next you have to compile php with mysql support
    this link details it well
    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/1374/7/

here is the overview, of which I havent install any of it in a while so its a bit sketchy
    after you get msyql installed, you have to run the php install script using the trigger for mysql support.
    after that, you have to add mod_php to your apache config. NOTE, you can add it as a static module or a dlo, if you make it static, you cannot remove it without recompiling. if you add it as a dlo it will be dynamic and you can enter your httpd.conf and remove it when needed.

also of note, there are really two parts to the httpd concering a dlo that you will need to know.
    you need to load module a dlo first.
    then you would have to add module.
    after you do both, be sure to terminate that portion of your apache config script, and it should work fine when you retart your system
    restart is
    ./apache/bin/apactl restart

have fun