Setting up a router w/XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hoglund53, Jul 22, 2003.

1. hoglund53

hoglund53 New Member

I just got a new computer, and installed XP on it today. I am trying to connect to it through my D-link router, and I just can't get it to work. I have the Network connection set up, but it's saying that there are 0 bytes sent, and 0 bytes recieved.

I have 2 other computers connected just fine through this router, but I just can't seem to get this new one to work right. It's a comcast cable internet connection...The settings right now are set to never dial a connection, and to automatically determine DNS and IP.

I can't ping the router either, and it says my network card is working properly...This is so annoying, it seems to happen every time I try to set up a computer on a network, and it's always some small setting I have to change.

Any help?

2. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

Not sure, sounds like you have everything set up. Is the physical connection working, check the LED on your NIC to make sure, it could be a cable issue. If the physical connection is working, then your problem lies in the settings somewhere.

3. hoglund53

hoglund53 New Member

I tried switching the wires around from one of the working computers, and it's no help. The LED's are blinking, so it seems like it should be working.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmmm, go to a dos prompt and type "ipconfig". If you don't have an IP address ( or if it's something gay like 169.x.x.x) then your card is not working right. Try also right clicking your network connection and hitting enable. Sometimes they can disable themselves...

5. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

Go into your Network Connections, right click on the icon, Properties, and click the Support Tab, and try to renew the IP. If you have AIM, you can IM me and maybe I can be of more help if you can't get it to work. I had a D-Link router a while back, and had no probs with it.

6. hoglund53

hoglund53 New Member

Well, apparently it WAS a problem with the NIC.

The motherboard has the ethernet port built in, and XP didn't automatically recognize it. I had to run the driver CD, and it fixed it right up. Thanks guys for your help! :bigthumb:

7. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

:bigthumb: Figured it was a physical problem.