Setting up a remote proxy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Funky Munky, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky Chronic Masturbator OT Supporter

So my college has banned pretty much every keyword for looking up anything non educational here in the computer labs (eg: games, torrents, etc). But someone on the main forum mentioned something about setting up a remote proxy and logging onto it from here and using it to surf unblocked. I have a private connection at home with an internet company (2mbit line) and was wondering how I would go about setting something like this up. Can someone make me a simple EDU or post some links?

Thanks folks.

2. samm

samm Next in Line

I use squid:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/

However it's running on a colocated server, which may or may not be practical for you since you'd like to use a home internet connection. Have you tried using remote desktop into your home computer and browse the internet that way?

3. Funky Munky

Funky Munky Chronic Masturbator OT Supporter

I will read more into remote desktop but can I access it from like a web address or a file on my USB stick? I am a noob at this.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You can use remote desktop through the Windows client or through a web address. It want to use it through the web, you will need to setup IIS on the host machine.

Check out dslwebserver.com. Click on step by step guides (left hand side), and you'll see how to setup remote desktop either way.

5. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

where do you goto school?