Setting up a network - not your same old question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Nov 10, 2003.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I set my desktop at home to be part of my work network via VPN. I have done the same for my laptop. So - how do I network the desktop and laptop together without logging into VPN since that would require a TONNE of bandwidth (from my desktop, to the VPN server, then to the laptop and vice versa)?

2. MP

MP New Member

so you want

desktop ---> vpn
    laptop ---> vpn

desktop <----> laptop (no vpn through work)

Just trying to make sure I understand what you are trying to do. Also, what OS are you running?

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

should not be a problem if you have your desktop and laptop connected through a hub or whatever. Just make sure you give your local network a different subnet than the work VPN and tcp/ip should figure out the best route to the host ie. not using the vpn to access your laptop

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Hmm - I don't mind it going through VPN, but I can't have it transferring to work and then back home. I think Sled's idea might work - both computers would still have to be connected to the VPN since they are operating under domain security however.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

See now here's the problem - because the desktop and laptop both have VPN IP's, as far as its concerned, that is the easiest route.

6. Balzz

Balzz N54 Elitist OT Supporter

Why don't you just split tunnel? What type of VPN is it?

7. 5Gen_Prelude

MS. Not even sure what you are suggesting to be honest.

8. Balzz

Most IPSec VPNs will allow you to configure a policy at the head end so that only routes specified in the policy are secured. Traffic destined to routes that aren't secured leave the physical interface of the NIC, and not the tunnel interface.

With MS PPTP, I think the most you can do, if you have XP is to go into advanced TCP/IP properties and uncheck the box that says "Use default gateway on remote network". It may or may not work depending on what you're accessing at the head end.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

This was the problem I was talking about before with you actually - and that is the solution I took for Internet browsing since browsing through VPN is slower than it needs to be. But in this case, it's not an issue of accessing the resources on the computer - it just isn't using the quickest path. By themselves, the computers have a 192.168 address on my own Private network, when connected via VPN, they also get a 10.x.x.x address, and that's the IP address that gets logged into the DNS/WINS server. So if you want to access the computer, that's the IP that is given and no gateway is required.

I think what would work is if there were some way to register on a domain at work, and a workgroup for home :hs:

10. Balzz

But if your local network is 192.168.x.x, the VPN local network is 10.x.x.x, and you aren't using the default gateway of the remote network, you should be fine as long as you're trying to connect to 192.168.x.x.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

Assumming I referred to the computer by its IP address and not its NetBIOS name, yes.

12. Balzz

NETBIOS names are for application layer sissies, and you're not an application layer sissy are you? :big grin:

13. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

If I understand you correctly, just connect to your other machine through the 192.x subnet. As soon as you try to use the 10.x it is going to route it back through the VPN.

Say your laptop is 192.168.0.1 with VPN IP 10.0.0.1, and your desktop in 192.168.0.2 with VPN IP 10.0.0.2.

If you want to FTP to your laptop put in the IP 192.168.0.1 instead of 10.0.0.1.

You can use IP addresses in place of a NETBIOS name. For example to map //laptop/documnets use //192.168.0.1/documents.

Like Balzz said, don't use the application layer, that is for sissies. :big grin:

14. 5Gen_Prelude

Great, a bunch of computer geeks are calling me a sissy.., :big grin: The reason I wanted to use the NetBIOS name was because:

a) It's not just me - I'm thinking of setting this up for someone else as well
    b) The IP address would have to be static for it to work - again it means setting this up.

15. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

put the netbios names in your hosts file

under /winnt/system32/drivers/etc

that way you KNOW it will look up the ip when you type in the hostname. Where do you get your ip addresses from? router? just set up a reservation for your home systems so that they get the same ip every time