setting up a blog on personal site V. way over my head

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ryan112ryan, Nov 13, 2005.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

so ive recently got a new domain, id like to setup a blog, nothing really fancy, but with some custom things (themes and photo support) that isn't anything like Live Journal, i want to post update from a computer not onto some lame blog site. i found and downloaded a prog called drupal (link) it says i should move it to my servers public acees folder (somthing like that) i did that and then it said go into mySQL any way long story short, i am way over my head with this stuff. i know a little html, css, almost no java and c++. i have space on the school server (unlimted, unix server i think) and i an right now doing a domain forward for my site, www.photogpoint.com help? this is all really confusing :wtc:

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

One thing that you need to make sure of is that your site can be ran from your school's webserver space. I know that on mine we didn't have any PHP support.

Or any mysql hosting for that matter.

More than likely you will have to get a different host if you want to be able to have all of that on your site.

3. eck

eck New Member

You'll also need database access software such as phpMyAdmin (link) installed on the hosting server.

I'm more concerned that you may not have the database knowledge as opposed to the coding knowledge. Most blog and CM software don't require any coding, its the database part that is sometimes tough to get figured out.

4. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

would word press be easier in implementing?
    i have sent an email requesting info on mySQL and PHP support and am waiting for a reply

5. samm

samm Next in Line

wordpress is easy to setup, that is what I use on my blog:
    http://www.sammiller.org

You will need php and mysql, that's about it. It's easiest if you have shell access to your web server.

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

:werd: wordpress is nice. tons of features and skins available.

7. Elaine

Elaine New Member

I use word press for my blog: www.elainevigneault.com

I have also used Serendipity - very user friendly, but not as easy to do your own hacks, or in my case bribe my husband to do hacks for me :)

Blogger allows you to set up your own advertising accounts so that might be a good way to get started.

Most software has some sort of converter to import your Blogger or LIveJournal posts into your new blog. So if you want to start immediately in order to create content now (content is KING) then I'd suggest setting up a temporary blog on someone else's hosting, like LJ and then converting it when you gain the skills.

Hope that was helpful :)

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member