Setting up a BDC.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psujeeperman02, Nov 22, 2005.

1. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Hey guys, nother question for ya.
    I am in a bind and need to install WIN NT on a machine and make it my Backup Domain Controller. I will be installing NT from a brand new (blank) hard drive.
    My question is: If I configure this server and install it as my BDC, will this have any affect on user accounts at this present time? I dont want to config it to a BDC then have it take my entire network down for the day. In a company of about 150 employees, that's the last thing would want to do.

Thanks for your help.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What OS is the PDC running? NT?

It shouldn't affect user accounts, but they should be replicated to the BDC as a backup in case the PDC isn't available.

I setup a Windows 2003 server in a 2000 enviroment during work hours a few months back. As long as you don't interrupt the PDC you'll be fine.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Setting up a BDC is simple and it automatically replicates the user database when you declare it as a BDC (be pretty stupid if it didn't...)

4. psujeeperman02

psujeeperman02 "Hi Sal"

Well, doesnt look like setting up my BDC worked too well. Everything is powered up and running as of last night, when i came in this morning, there were a handful of users that couldnt log in. Windows gave the error saying it could not log them on cause it couldnt find a domain controller. Why would the majority of users be able to log on, (XP and 98 machines) and other people would not? Could this be because it so happend that some of those users were pulling their info from the BDC as opposed to the PDC? Could it be because the BDC is running NT with no service packs on it yet? Also, i noticed that the PDC has something called IPC installed on it. The BDC does not. What is the IPC?