Setting permissions on folders for users on a shared ext. drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Creator, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

At work we have a DroboPro with 10Tb of storage. This is acting as our shared company drive. An old iMac is the host for the Drobo.

The drobo has a folder for each user.

The user then has an alias of that folder on their desktop.

That's great. But anyone can just go into the main drobo directory and see all other folders. There is zero protection.

Is there a way to make it so only the designated person can access the files? Some sort of folder permission utility or something? I figure there must be a program that does this. Best option is that the user doesnt have to enter a password everytime they access their own folder from their computer.

2. Creator

Ok, so on the iMac host, I set the permission on a users folder. I go to that computer and open the folder and it says I don't have permission. How do I set that up since this is network wide but we don't have a formal network infrastructure (just a wireless router).

3. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

You have to set up accounts for each user on the iMac server then have the users use those account names to login to it. They can save the login info in the keychain on their computers.

4. Creator

How does that work exactly? I created a user (in system prefs -> accounts) named USER and made USER the only user who had read/write on their personal folder on the iMac server. I then made USER on that persons computer (in system prefs -> accounts) with the same password.

On USERS computer, I navigate to the Drobo on the iMac server and try to open it, but I get an error saying I don't have permission

5. Creator

I also used USERS computer, navigated to the folder on the drobo, right clicjed + got info on USERS folder and tried to add the user under sharing and permission but it says the 'the name you entered isn't valid. Please try again'

WTF does that mean?

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

How many people do you have? Why not just create their name so you don't have to figure out what USER is?

7. Creator

It is their name, im just saying user here

8. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

When you go to the server from the client, are you hitting the "Connect As..." button at the top of the window and entering the username and password?

9. Creator

I'm not seeing 'connect as', where is that?

10. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

from what I know of windows file sharing. If you want to protect everyone from seeing it and only allow certain users you have to have on both machines the same user and password and then set the permissions on the folder to just allow that person so when they try to view the folder it should see the same user name/ password and let them in. Thats in a work group situation. If a domain you should be able to add the user name.

11. Creator

Someone must know how to do this :hsd:

12. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

IT's in the Finder window when you click on a server.

Alternatively, use Connect to Server... under the Go menu in the Finder. You have to log into the server under the username.