set up shared hard drive on network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pepe, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Pepe

Pepe New Member

so i googled it and there are literally tons of hits on this, but usually most that talk about problems associated with setting it up, was gonna see if anyone on here knew how to do this and could give me a play by play.

right now i have at any given time two macbook pro's, two dell inspirons (one wired to the router, one used less frequently), and one iBook. my router is a linksys WRT54GL with some custom firmware that works fucking awesome. it is password protected, encrypted and all that good shit. anyways, i am far from an expert with this stuff, so as dumb as possible would be appreciated. basically i want to hook up my 1 TB External HD to the network so all computers can access it (possibly partition it into 500 GB sections, one for movies, music, etc, and the other for time machine backups), and while i'm at it i might as well hook my printer up as well. i can't imagine this is too complex, but any help would be appreciated.

right now, my hangup is having both windows and mac computers on it. the host computer plugged into the network is a dell, and i assume i would have to plug my printer and external HD into that, share them, then enable a path (or whatever the equivalent is on my mac, i'm just not totally sure as i've been using mac's for a little less than 3 years and never attempted this with OS X).

if it matters, the router is this one and has 4 ethernet connections on the back

http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CCwQ8gIwAw#

the external hd is this one
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16822136321

it has a usb connection

and the printer is this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828115177

thanks for any help

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

turn on file / printer sharing in windows, share the HD and printer. if you are lucky it will show up in the 'go > network' menu on the mac. if not you have to use 'go > connect to server' and type in 'smb://host/resource'

3. Pepe

Pepe New Member

thanks for the response, i just hooked everything up to attempt some stuff (and this response once i read it) and the damn dell POS won't even recognize the external hard drive. went into device manager, enabled and disabled it, then enabled again, checked for updates on the drivers, no luck.

fuck i hate windows

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

not touching that one with a pole.

5. Pepe

Pepe New Member

haha fuck this, i should jsut sell both the dell's and get a mac mini to use as my host computer for my setup, annoying as shit

6. Pepe

Pepe New Member