Set a new personal best deadlifting today w00h00

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Keep in mind I'm a broly-in-training (started lifting weights mid-October of 05) and have only been pulling since mid-December. My starting weight was 95lb, 3x8

Today I did:

Reps x weight

12x135 (warmup)
    8x185
    8x205 (almost threw up here, farted once)
    7x225 (almost threw up again, farted twice)
    5x235 (this was the closest I've been to throwing up at the gym, farted before I pulled so it wouldn't distract me mid-set :) )

I wasn't going to go for a 5th set, but after doing 7 reps of 225 with relative ease, I knew I needed to go for more. The 5x235 wasn't to failure, but my form was getting sloppy, so I cut it short (it was still a great workout). For some reference, last week I ended my workout with 4x215. I also switched my grip from a double-overhand to a over-under, which I should have done much sooner.

I'm 6'3" 215lbs and happy to be finally repping more than my bodyweight. It's safe to say that I'm addicted to weightlifting now :) (not because of today, but in general).

2. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

have you ever attempted a 1rm?

3. hootpie

hootpie New Member

No, I'll test my 1rm when I'm repping ~250ish (arbitrary #). While we're on the subject, what exactly is the format for 1rm? Do you do it on a separate day? How do you judge what you should go for first? Any other advice for 1rm?

4. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

there isn't really a set way to do it. most warm up with light numbers, then keep adding on weight while doing less reps. pick a weight you think you can do, try it. you'll either make the lift or you won't. if you do, add on a few more lbs til you can't lift anymore

5. tkluu

tkluu New Member

Should keep your grip at double over. I switched to over under and it seriously screwed up how much I could grip, once I switched back it didnt take long for my grip to catch up with me.

6. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Cool, thanks for the advice.

yo nizzle - my grip was failing at 225lbs when I used double-overhand. Now that I use an over-under, I have absolutely no problems with my grip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.