Server monitoring software w/ paging...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jshively, Mar 25, 2004.

1. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I was wondering if anyone here was using any software similiar to what I am looking for. I have tried googling but found nothing but crap.

What the software needs to do is be able to be installed on a central server. From this server it needs to be able to go out and monitor our other servers. If a service for example was to crash it needs to need a cell phone and let us know. We would also like for it to be able to monitor SQL jobs and find out if they ran or not. If they failed then again call another number.

That is the basic ideal I would like to be able to receive daily e-mails detailing stuff like what services crashed on each server.

Thanks

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

What's your budget and platform(s).

IBM Tivoli, BMC Patrol, HP OpenView

3. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Budget no clue just out getting ideas.

Platforms will just be monitoring Windows 2000. Our UNIX servers are not that big of a deal because if they go down we will know before any pager could call us. I swear a one second pause and the user is dialing.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I built my own. I monitor servers using ping commands and looking at database activity. Once it finds a problem, it text messages me via email. But I could have it dial out on a pager too since there's programs out there that will do that. The trick is to make it very simple and use commands that aren't going to fuck up themselves (no point in having a monitoring server that crashes now is there?). All of my tests are DOS based, or at least launched via DOS batch programming. It works really well for my needs.

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

This man knows, the only other one I can think of is TNG