Server cpu on a desktop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, Nov 29, 2006.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using xeon processors on a desktop computer (vs core2 cpus)? I wanna get a dual woodcrest box, and run windows on it. I plan to use it for video editing, web development, and occasional gaming.

Also, will the current mobos that support woodcrest, support kentsfield when it comes out?

2. o2

Ahh, so you cant use normal ddr2 memory?

Hmmm, can you have dual E6600s?

3. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

So dual processor vs. dual core? I read a really nice article on that recently. Let me see if I can find it.

4. ady

ady New Member

What sort of speed were you looking at? You may be better off with a single quad core rather than two dual core. Aside from needing a more expensive motherboard and memory the processor would be cheaper if you were looking at those sort of speeds anyway.

You also might want to consider a Mac Pro if you do go with woodcrest as it's cheaper than anywhere else for what you get, assuming all it's features are ones you need or would get anyway and you get other advantages too.

5. o2

Dual core > dual cpu, but I want both!

Yah Im thinking about the quad core, but after looking at some benchmarks... Im not too impressed with the performance gain. E6700 actually beat it in some categories.

As for Macs, I rather not pay premium pricing, and just build it myself.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You're better off getting Core 2 Duo. You really don't need all the extra error-checking that the Xeons and their special RAM boards have. The error-checking actually reduces the speed of the components compared to top-end consumer-grade components.

Regarding the benchmarks for quad-core: MULTIPLE CORES DON'T ADD TOGETHER. You can do more things at once with multiple cores, but you can't run a single app at 2x or 4x the speed. Kinda like how owning two cars doesn't get you to work twice as fast in the morning, but it does let your wife go do her thing at the same time.

7. ady

ady New Member

Unless you need the features of a server/workstation board I agree you'd be better getting a dual or quad core C2D chip and overclocking it (3.5Ghz on air without too much effort, even for the quad core I believe) getting faster memory and saving alot of money.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That was pretty good, buddy. :bigthumb: :bowdown:

9. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

10. ady

ady New Member

It's not just the Dell, which is why I mentioned it. For what apple offer you can't build a machine yourself cheaper, but if you don't need certain parts, like a 1Kw PSU or a 250GB drive or any 512mb FB-DIMMs it might not be the best option.

11. deusexaethera

Thanks. All those user manuals I've been writing at work have improved my already fearsome communication skills. (grin)

12. o2

All right, that sounds great!

Nice analogy! :)

So, any mobo that currently supports the current quad core cpu (clovertown), will it support the kentsfield based cpus in early 2007?

13. o2

14. ady

ady New Member

Ok Clovertown are the quad core Xeons, you can use these in a board that supports dual Xeon processors for a total of 4 or 8 cores (you don't need to use both slots). These require FB-DIMMS. They are socket LGA 771.

Kentsfield are quad core CPUs that are for use in consumer computers, they are socket LGA 775 and are 4 core versions of the Conroes that are currently out.

If you want a board that will support Kentsfield any of the current core 2 duo board will work and you will only as such be able to use one processor.

To evaluate:

2 Cores: Conroe (E6300, E6400, E6600, E6700, X6800)
    4 Cores: 1*Kentsfield (QX6700), 2*Woodcrest (5110, 5120, 5130, 5140, 5150, 5160)
    8 Cores: 2*Clovertown (5310, 5320, 5335, 5345, 5355)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  15. deusexaethera

No point crying about only being able to have 4 cores in your homemade Dell. Trust me, it will take some doing to max it out.

16. o2

Ohh! I thought ....
    Clovertown = 2 Core2 Duo cpus on a single die.
    Kentsfield = actual quad core chip, on a single die (Core Quad) (that isn't out until 2007).

So anything that supports QX6700 should support the Core Quad chips that will come out in 2007?

17. ady

ady New Member

Correct.

18. o2

Ok, badass.

I just hope the core Quad cpus will be cheaper than the QX6700. No way in hell Im spending $1300 on a CPU

19. ady

ady New Member

You can get the QX6700 for just over $1000 as OEM rather than as a retail product but I don't think anywhere have them in stock yet. The Q6600 (2.4Ghz) should be around $851.