Server Backup Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Drifter87, Jul 17, 2007.

?

Hard Drive Setup

1. 480Gb Storage + 120 External Backup

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 280Gb Storage + 320 External Backup

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I am setting up a personal server, nothing heavy duty. Pretty much just building this thing from spare parts because I have them and want to get familiar with Server 2003.

For Hard Drives, should I go with 480Gb Internal Storage and 120Gb External Storage for Backups OR 280Gb and 320Gb External Storage for Backups.

(I have 2x80, 1x320, 1x120, + External Enclosure).

(More Info if you need it)
    [For the summer it will pretty much host video files for my family, so they can encode movies to MPEG4 to be watched on the PS3 or TiVo. Also if they really love something they recorded, they can dump it onto the Server.

When I am at college, just my personal Server so I can store my files, host my domain, ftp, learn more about Server 2003 (get a head start on my classes), etc...]

2. Kewlb

Kewlb New Member

280GB + 320external

use ntbackup to schedule a backup job and dump it to a file on the external disk.

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

dot

4. Drifter87

the more and more I think about it, 280GB + 320 sounds better, thanks :wavey:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, I gotta admit, I didn't understand the question you were asking. It seemed as if you were asking "should I buy adequate space to back up all my data, or not?" The answer should be obvious.

6. Drifter87

Since this is more personal and not "business", I figure I would backup just the important files. As I was sitting here at work thinking, I might as well just back everything up. Plus I use the 320 as the backup, I could dump my laptop on it as well.

7. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

If it's personal and you're just using it to learn how to do backups and admin type stuff I would go with the bigger internal and smaller backup, then learn how to use good backup programs, compression, scripts, etc. you don't need to backup the whole thing, just the data . . .

8. deusexaethera

I kinda agree with retorq; put the 320GB in the server and the 280 in the backup enclosure. With data compression, you'll be able to fit the 320GB of data onto the 280 with room to spare, anyway.

Look for a program called ViceVersa Pro by TGRMN; it can GZip every single file it backs up into a separate archive, so it doesn't have to rewrite the whole damned thing every time you do an incremental backup.

9. mrj

mrj New Member

I'm completely lost as to why you need to build a server to learn 2003 Server.

If you're trying to learn AD/Exchange/Network Admin stuff, just run multiple VMwares.

If you're trying to learn IIS/ASP/webhosting side of things, same thing really, but even more simple.

Not to mention your college, unless you've got connections, is going to block all of the server ports. I'm not sure if you're collocating this or whatever, but thats something to keep in mind.

I'd probably just do a raid 5, then have critical data goto a small external.

10. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

:eek4:

11. deusexaethera

Have we argued in the past? I forget.

12. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I don't think so, I just don't get that that often. ;)

13. deusexaethera

Oh. Well, continue to avoid being an asshole and I'll continue to agree with you when I think you're right.

This isn't the main forum, you may have noticed.