server as pc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by klhartwigs321, Jan 15, 2007.

1. klhartwigs321

klhartwigs321 New Member

i hope i dont sound like a noob but is it possible to use a server as my personal computer, i.e. monitor, keyboard, mouse, windows xp or linux w/gui. i wanted to know b/c i saw some cheap dual socket server boards on ebay.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Yes, they're computers just like a normal one -- they're just usually built with better components so that they can last longer (considering they normally run 24/7).

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can, but you'll need to get a better video card, and possibly a sound card and DVD drive as well. Servers don't have much call for THX 7.1 surround sound and the ability to run F.E.A.R. at 1600x1200 at the highest settings, if you get my drift.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You'll also want to make sure you can get drivers for the motherboard and hard drive interface for your OS of choice before you buy.

5. klhartwigs321

klhartwigs321 New Member

i just want to know if i can put either linux with a gui, windows, or os x, on a server. also whether i can put a optical drive on to load the os and a better video card. im also looking on ebay and searching google too for these answers, so its not like im a total noob.

6. deusexaethera

There is not enough difference between a desktop PC and a server to prevent you from installing whatever operating system you want.

7. klhartwigs321

klhartwigs321 New Member

i see these dual core and quad core servers on ebay with 1gb of memory for under $200, now can i utilize all these cores if i want to play video games? i know i can run windows or linux, but will they support multiple processors? and how is the performance of multiple processors? do i just add the clock speeds? answers and/or links to answers are much appreciated.

8. deusexaethera

As I've said before, having multiple cores is like having multiple cars. They won't get you to work 2x or 4x as fast, but the rest of your family won't have to slow you down by carpooling with you.

Windows has to run a lot of background programs to keep your computer running the way you expect. Those extra cores will get used even if the game is only using one. And the best part is, if you Alt+Tab out of the game to take care of something else, your computer will still be fast and responsive even if the game is using one of the cores to 100% capacity.