Server admins

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by knightm3, Feb 5, 2003.

1. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

I've seen that a lot of the server admins [personal or otherwise] on here are running 2k/*nix. Anyone running OpenBSD/OSX Server, or any other platform outside the norm?

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'm sure you'll run across a lot of admins that are running mixed environments. *nix is fairly popular for security and internet services...

Dunno WTF any good admin would do with an OSX server? :dunno::rofl:

3. MaXBoost

MaXBoost < OG Member :)

I run redhat 7.2 w/ ensim 3.1.4 ...

I try them all , and i just didn't like it... I will never used windows for a server again ... to many finger prints on the reset button..

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've got a Sun Solaris server at home, although its not doing anything productive at this moment. The new place I'm at runs Solaris but I'm not an admin there.

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I have two OpenBSD boxes. I don't remember what their hostnames were or even where they are or what building they are in. Oh well.

Picking a server OS depends on your priorities. Need to save money? Need something stable? Scalable? Easy to use? Powerful? Also, picking a server OS depends more so on the application you are going to use more so than the OS itself. After the bubble burst, financial resources seem to be the priority.

And when you state *nix, you state all Unix flavors which include BSD and OS X.

An OS out of the norm for me I feel would be OpenVMS. Although old, there is no OS out there as powerful and as stable as OpenVMS. Not even UNIX, it can't even touch it. Even now a lot of features UNIX is adapting, VMS has been using for at least 20 years.

-crontab -l

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

My systems at home have Windows 2000 Server and Redhat Linux but I dont really do to much with them, play around, and tinker mostly. I been messing with FreeBSD lately thats about it, but no OpenBSD yet.. some day though :)