Server 2003 Woes - Switch back to XP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fewleftstanding, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Fewleftstanding

Fewleftstanding New Member

I have an older computer (Athlon 2400+, 1280mb ram, nvidia 6600gt) that I've installed Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition on (msdn subscription through college :rolleyes:).

I cant find any drivers for my video card, there is a 64-bit beta version, should I risk trying to install them? I'm running the 32bit version of Server 2003 and my cpu is obviously 32bit.

I'm using server 2003 because I want to not have to reboot every few days.

I'm using this machine solely for bittorrent and usenet downloads, logging irc chats, playing with some virtual machines (vmware), and to log in remotely with logmein.com. Should I just switch back to XP?

Thanks.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Server 2003 is built on the NT5 kernel just like XP, you're not going to get away from needing to reboot from time to time.

2. Use the XP drivers for your videocard.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

you will not be able to get a 64 bit driver to install into a 32bit environment.

Does the card work and just give you shitty resolution, or is there something else that it won't do? Through a bit of googling, I found some references to saying that 2000 pro/xp drivers work on Server 2003.

Maybe try that.

4. Fewleftstanding

I'll try the XP drivers, thank you.

I have a wierd resolution (though it is high enough, it looks wierd). Without the drivers, the gui is somewhat slow when scrolling in firefox, etc. I have the same problem in XP, it works fine once the drivers are installed.

I'll let you know how it goes, thanks.

5. deusexaethera

OH! I know what that problem is. Go into the advanced display properties and turn hardware acceleration all the way up. WS2k3 turns that off by default.

6. Fewleftstanding

Just set it to 'Full', but it is still doing it. I'll try restarting and see if that fixes it. If not, I'm about to install the XP drivers.

7. Fewleftstanding

Installed the drivers for XP, works great.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

8. deusexaethera

Yeah, I thought you'd already installed the XP drivers. The hardware acceleration setting won't do anything without the drivers to tell Windows how to communicate with the videocard.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a lesser system that i use for the same purposes that the original poster does
    i just installed the shittiest pci video card i could find, because i only remote desktop into the thing and it doesn't require a powerful video card at all

10. deusexaethera

Yeah, I do kinda wish Remote Desktop would draw on the vid card's full capabilities.