MIL seriously pondering joining reserves or guard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KriZZeaM, Oct 30, 2007.

1. KriZZeaM

KriZZeaM New Member

any advice on choosing, duties/responsibilities for each branch.

this is a serious and possibly recent decision for me and i want to be fully informed.

2. KriZZeaM

KriZZeaM New Member

edit: ive checked out all of the websites, i was more looking for personal experience and knowledge, which might be the better fit. or should i just go talk to a reruiter

3. shiba

shiba Active Member

I personally feel that The reserves is the biggest PIA offered by the army. With the new ARFORGEN restructuring of how we do our drills, you can expect more 3 day weekends and multiple week AT's. It is hard to find an employer to be understanding of the situation and allow you to progress at their company as well as the Military. If you want to join, go active, If you must join part time, go guard. Its just not worth it to join the reserves anymore.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

What is the difference between the guard and the reserves?

5. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I enlisted not too long ago and go to basic soon.

Please explain this new reserve drilling shit. Right now it kinda seems really laid back just chillin from 7 to 5pm with a class or 2 every now and then.

6. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

Yeah, guard > reserves

7. shiba

shiba Active Member

guard is sponsored by the state so they get better funding than the reserves which is federally funded. Plus guard gives you the option of combat arms branches. Both have the same chances of being deployed but guard makes better bank at the end. (i'll elaborate more on that later) As far as drills go for reserves. Sitting around with a few classes here and there are basically it. You have to know that most of the command in your company is reserve themselves so there really isn't that much effort placed into making interesting and effective training for the soldiers. Its more like get there and get all the paperwork and stuff sorted out that they werent able to do fro mthe rest of the month. The soldiers suffer in the end because they are not getting essential training that can help them progress in the military and thus lowers morale. it is not unusual to see a platoon assigned 150 PACs with only 50-60 showing up for drill.

8. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

But how can someone in the reserves/guard be proficient at thier MOS/AFSC if they only do it every now and again? Just asking out of ignorance of course.

9. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

It's tough, I spend way more time than the one weekend a month two weeks a year stuff on the flight line just to keep up competency.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I joined the Army Reserves and later transfered to the Army National Guard. I have never regretted my move. The training I got during my drill weekends at my Reserve unit was generally "make-busy" crap "hip-pocket" training that someone put together a few minutes after being told that they would be training us on something.

Every single drill weekend that I have attended with the National Guard has been filled with first class quality training. We have access to electronic skills trainers for Call For Fire, Convoy Ops, and Crew Served Weapons. Formal training for extra qualifications (Combat Life Saver, Mountaineering tab, etc) is also highly encouraged and supported by the Battalion.

I got an email from a 1SG in a NG unit (Infantry) in my town this morning. He mentioned that they had Chinooks supporting them for their last weekend drill. http://www.caledonianrecord.com/pages/picture_of_the_day/story/333b982ba

Your mileage may vary, but that's my experience with the Reserves and National Guard.