Seriously considering buying a BMW...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by EffBeeEye, Jun 12, 2006.

1. EffBeeEye

EffBeeEye New Member

I'm trying to get a mid-90's era 3 series BMW as my new car. Right now im driving a 3000gt but ive grown out of my "high school sports car" phase and want something sporty, but more sedan-ish so to speak. So far ive found a few good ones including a 1997 328si with 99k for about $8000. Just wondering what kind of experience any of you have with this era of 3 series'.

Also, I've heard from many people that the C class, being the smallest and cheapest of the Mercedes are generally regarded as being shitty in terms of quality compared to the other classes of Mercedes. Does it work the same way for BMW, would it be better to look for a 5 series?

thanks.

2. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

i think the mid 90s 3 series was regarded as the benchmark in its class. :dunno:

3. Blair

Blair New Member

right now im driving a '99 M3 but honestly i have always thought a fun project car would be a 318ti with the m-tech appearance package. get one of those and add a charger, springs, wheels, and some nice HIDs and you have yourself a fun little car that you can park anywhere.

4. t b

t b This is almost as fun as playing with the speech f

E36 and E46 3-series were always considered "perfection" for their class. I can't see how you could go wrong with these. I don't know much about M-B, but in BMW the 3-Series is not considered "shitty" or "less quality". 3/5/7 series are just meant to serve different needs, but every single model is designed and produced with BMW quality.

Currently driving an E46 M3 btw, and have also had friends with an E36 M3, an E36 328, and a E46 330. Absolutely great cars all of them.

5. MrJasey

MrJasey OT Supporter

i am assuming your 3000gt is NOT the vr4?

i personally would never let go of a vr4. if i ever got a 3-series it would have to be an M-version or i would kill myself. also the non Ms do not hold their value at all.

6. EffBeeEye

EffBeeEye New Member

naw its not a VR4, its a '95 base in good condition tho. yeah i love the M class 3 series as well, but im not lookin for another sports car, the regular 3 series seems fine to me.

7. Hym3n

Hym3n New Member

I know this is the wrong board and topic for a post like this... but...

I had a '95 3000GT SL for just over a year, sold it, picked up a '93 3000GT VR-4. Just a couple performance mods later (boost controller, intake, exhaust), and quite honestly man, it's a completely different type of stimulation than what my old SL could've ever delivered. If you haven't ridden in and/or driven a VR-4, seriously consider checking one out, regardless of if you're leaving the "high school sports car," phase or not, it's just a freaking riot.

8. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

The only issues with them are they are spendy in up keep. 02 sensors are 140bucks and the e36 OBDII have 4 of them. Also the suspention bushing need to be replaced and fail way to much IMHO. But they are great cars if you have the means to keep them on the road.

9. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Aftermarket urethane bushings will make this a non-issue.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but a B5 (chassis revision) VW Passat or Audi A4 will do nicely as a sports sedan. A quick replacement of the engine computer and the sway bars (the dampers are very good stock) will enhance the performance splendidly. If you decide to check this option out, look for a 1.8 liter turbo with an AEB engine code -- later revisions of the engine made the turbo system overly-complicated with little gain. You'll be looking at 1998-very early 1999 to get an AEB engine. I love mine.

11. kittah

kittah Is kittah acting sexy?

get a Benz

12. NavS

NavS its me!

All BMWs are made to perfection.... Well at the very least they're treated equally. If you are willing to spend around $8k get a 97+ 5 series, and then you could get the light conversion, and rims, then make it look like a 2001+ M5.

13. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn zomg user text

Good thread. I too am planning on buy a BMW. I'm lookin for a 97-98 328is. I drove my friend's a few weeks ago and was impressed. I'm just waiting to graduate and get a job (less than a month to graduate :x:).

The only thing I worry about is the cost of repairs, but thats a risk with any used car, I suppose.

14. NavS

NavS its me!

Actually BMWs and and some other not so general cars are expensive to repair compared to lets say a GM car, domestic or Japanese.

15. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

Do it.

I've owned 2 E36s BMW (both '92s), and have nothing but good things to say about them.

BMWs are not that expensive to maintain. Parts are more expensive than your average honda/ford, but service is rarely needed. If you have the means I suggest you do all maintenance yourself. With a Bentley Manual, these cars are not difficult to work on.

Make sure to check for leaks (PS fluid especially) and extensively test the sunroof and windows. Try to find one which has had its clutch and radiator replaced.

I think between 70k-90k is the best mileage to buy these cars as long as its been well-maintained.

They really are solid cars, Two weeks ago, I picked up my first E46, a 2002 325Ci, and its been nothing short of fantasic.

16. NT2SHBBY

NT2SHBBY New Member

living on the east coast, you get snow...I wouldn't settle for anything less than the 4WD model (325/328/330xi)

17. Tvan

Tvan New Member

I wouldn't go that far. The newer models (anything past '92) are heavy enough to be driveable in the winter without needing AWD. Besides, if you get AWD, it will only limit your fun in the dry.

18. NT2SHBBY

NT2SHBBY New Member

not one non-AWD model can make it up an icey/snowy block in NY. The AWD model's seem to skate up like it's dry pavement. Now I'm not saying a RWD model with good snow tires won't do it, no one over here has them.

Now, my GS400 which is RWD with Conti snows owns in the snow

19. EuroTuner

EuroTuner Wire Ninja Wizard

i've got a 95 sedan with the Sport Package. if your not willing to pony up for an M3, make sure you get one with the sport pack. i've driven all 3 and the standard car is frankly boring in comparison to my car. the M3 obviously is even better than mine, but the Sport Pack comes reasonably close, for 3 grand less.

20. Eric BMW

Eric BMW New Member

Sport package? It's a better option if you won't modify the car. It is hardly a deal breaker. Sport package has nothing more than a slightly lower (hardly noticeable) ride height and painted bumper/skirts. If you modify the car's suspension just slightly you'll easily surpass the sport package. Springs and shocks/struts are all it takes. Get the bumper and side skirts paint matched and you got better than a sport package. Even better, get an M3 bumper and if you want, M3 side skirts.

Even though this topic is 2 months old.

Eric BMW
    95 BMW M3

21. EuroTuner

EuroTuner Wire Ninja Wizard

uh bullshit hardly noticeable difference, the standard E36 rides like a jeep, this one sits MUCH lower. granted yes if you plan on modifying it its hardly a deal breaker, but if he plans on keeping it stock, its a much better kit to have than a standard car.

22. Thayne

Thayne TRANCE/420 Crew

BMWs are great! I come from a family that loves BMWs. I have had three. Two E30s and and my current a 1995 E34 540i sport! My brother owned an E30 and now has a E36 325i and loves it. I have driven it many times and its an awesome car. If you are looking for a 1997 328is you wont be dissapointed. :bigthumb: