(Serious Question) What would you do if.......

Discussion in 'Archives' started by BadKat, May 16, 2002.

1. BadKat

BadKat Guest

(serious question) What would you do if.....

You found out that you were pregnant, and found out close to the end of your first Trimester, had only 2-3 weeks to make a decision about what to do, and knew that you couldn't come up with the money for an abortion before the beginning of your second trimester?

2. andrew1984

andrew1984 Guest

id consider getting a loan.

3. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

Abortion's are free, aren't they? Doesn't Planned parenthood offer them?

Thank God for socialized health care here, abortions for everyone! Yay! :big grin:

4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I'd be like "hey, having sex causes pregnancies... with great power comes great responsibility. It is my blessing. It is my curse"

put the baby up for adoption?

sex can wait.. masturbate

5. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

:uh:

Sex can't wait!

6. BadKat

BadKat Guest

Actually, it's based on your income. They have a sliding fee scale.

And again guys, this is SERIOUS, as in, THIS IS A POSSIBLITY FOR SOMEONE, right here, right now. Show a little sensitivitiy.

7. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

I am being serious. :confused:

Get an abortion. You don't want the kid, get rid of it. Best for everyone.

8. BadKat

BadKat Guest

Excuse me but what the hell is that supposed to mean? I know that sex causes pregnancy (and who the hell said it was ME anyway???) and I know that there are precosions (sp?) that every one should take, but what if you did do everything you were supposed to, and you still ended up in this situation? It's possible.

9. drspd

drspd Guest

Hi,

This is a really tough situation. I'm quite a big supporter of feminist thought on abortion and believe it's her body, her decision (although I don't necessarily agree with the feminist ethical arguments - I tend to side with Judith Jarvis Thompson's argument - really nice, I'd recommend taking a look at it).

Okay, enough with the tangent. If she firmly wants to obtain an abortion, she shoud get it. If the cost is too high, there are several options:
    1. get the significant other to pay for half
    2. obtain a credit card, and use the buy now pay later program:)
    3. talk to her parents about her situation and ask for help
    4. if she works, or he works, ask for an advanced payment and then have one of them pay the other back

These are just some ideas... you can also visit a different clinic and plead complete and utter poverty... perhaps visit a state hospital as opposed to a private clinic... a D&C or D&E is a standard procedure that can be done anywhere (they use these techniques for a variety of other problems - i.e. endometriosis).

Hope that helps! Wish her luck!

10. bigDerk

bigDerk Guest

Give the kid up for adoption. It's not his/her choice to come into this world, give it a chance.

11. drspd

drspd Guest

First of all, this is the first trimester, the "kid" is no more a "kid" than the cum an individual ejaculates when they masturbate.

Secondly, it is completely her right to do what suits her. I would prefer she gets an abortion and doesn't have to deal with:
    - the whole pregnancy experience which is far from fun
    - the social stigma she'l face from family and friends
    - the psychological impact of going through pregnancy
    - the dangers and complications associated with pregnancy
    - the COSTS associated with pregnancy

Sure, you can say "you did the deed, so now you have to pay the price", but if all precautions were taken (which were indicated that they were) then she did what she could to prevent it, and now she should have the right to do what she chooses.

This is neither the time nor place for a discussion of the ethics of abortion - take it to the on-topic forum. She's here 'cause she wants to know what to do right now. Not what she should have done, not what is best for you, but what's best for her. Show some empathy people, this could be your best-friend/daughter, etc.

12. EdgeCat

EdgeCat Guest

I'm not really a supporter of one side of the other, but more of a hybrid. I generally believe that one shouldn't abort the majority of the time, but that there ARE exceptions.... Rape being the most obvious one. If a girl is forced against her will to have sex, and ends up pregnant, she should have the right to terminate it. It wasn't her decision to become pregnant, or even engage in intercourse, so it's not like she screwed up anywhere.

As for accidents... That's grey area. I dunno, if it's a guy who happened to swoon a girl into having unprotected sex, and then ran away, I think it's up to the girl. If she can't take care of it financially and it's early enough, I'll accept it. If it's a couple that's been having sex for months or years, and suddenly she ends up pregnant, I say no. They've been playing russian roulette for long enough, and it's finally come back to bite them in the asses.

Like others have said, adoption is a possibility that I support. A friend of my girlfriend's ended up getting pregant by a guy who ran off and cheated, but she couldn't bring herself to abort it. She opted to give birth and give it up to a family of her choosing. Sounds great, but now it seems like she's having a lot of mental and emotional issues with giving the child up completely. She wants to be in his life, and it's simply not healthy for the mother to do so.

Overall, tough choice. :( I wish whoever it is that is making this decison the best of luck.

13. pixie

pixie on one wild ride :naughty:

oh... & if the fellow is not gonna/can't help out, then damn, he too should have tried the abstinence thing, right?

wait... you only said she.....

14. zskillz

zskillz you don't like it??.... L.M.B.

the sad fucking truth is that she can suffer greater consequences from having sex... with those consequences comes greater responsibility on her part with respect to her body. that's just the way that it is... no debate - nothing. the truth... if men could have babies, then it would be a different ball game, but that's life. think before you do something that could fuck it up. even if the chances are small. no one cares about 2% until they a part of the statistic.

-Z

15. pixie

so, of course, none of it falls on their head?

:fawk:

if you're old enough to fuck, you should be old to take resposiblity for anything that comes of it, no matter what your sex is....

16. pixie

well, hell, why didn't you say that then? & you know... it is *gasp* possible for a fellow to say no *gasp* ;)

& if all precautions were taken, it really is something they both should deal with... they were both there

17. Kurious Kit

Kurious Kit Guest

abortions are $205, yea fucking right! they cost like $475. Believe me I know. I don't know how much it cost where you live but in Texas thats how much it is here. dude, I was only in my 3rd or 4th week, i was only acouple weeks, and that is how much it cost. Luckly I had insurance so it was free.
    But if she really wants to get rid of it, ask her parents to borrow some money or borrow from friends. Make the guy pay for half, so she wouldnt have to borrow that much money.

18. KooLLaiD

KooLLaiD I am NOT the guy in my AV!

I would Like to Bludgeon you with a fucking baseball bat!!!:mad: :bash:

19. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

I am pro abortion. I think abortion> adoption and I would rather most women who don't want to raise the baby herself would choose to terminate the baby than let it live in a world where it is unwanted and ultimately likely to be a burden.

20. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

There are lines of couples who can't have their own children who want them. I know of four such couples who are in the process of adopting children. Letting the baby live a good life with a couple who can't have their own is better than killing them.

Have the child adopted, she will feel better about it ultimately and everyone benefits from it. There isn't any of the emotional pain and baggage left by the aftermath of having the child sucked into a sink.

21. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

There are countless children in agencies already. Let the couples who want children adopt them first, clear out the backlog, then go ahead and add more.

Sad fact is, number of unwanted children > number of couples willing to adopt.

22. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

:bsflag:

Let me tell you what from a female perspective. Guys tend to needle, cajole, threaten, whine and a host of other verbs just so they can dip the wick. That's all they care about. Just read all the threads here about how to get the gf on bc because they can't stand condoms. They want risk free satisfaction.

Now, there are a lot of guys who would say, "Cool, I can go with no sex because I don't want you get to pregnant." They are in the minority and I respect them highly.

And I'm sick and tired of this fucking double standard. Because girls can get pregnant, they can only masterbate. Guys can keep looking for a gf that will put out.

grumpybb, you make me want to :barf:

23. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

And your point about there not being any emotional baggage with adoption is untrue as well. There is just as much baggage with both the child and mother with adoption.

Abortion is a great option to have. I think women who get abortions are heroes, because they made the right, but difficult decision. :bowdown: to the women with the strength and character who choose abortion

24. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

I think a lot of it has to do with what place she is in in her life and how she feels about abortion. Is this child a part of her yet? If not, she might be able to handle a second trimester abortion. But it gets more expensive as the time goes on and more risky.

If she is able (not only emotionally, but socially as well), consider the adoption side, especially if she is healthy and white. Sorry to say but there is a greater premium on caucasian babies than others. It's entirely possible she'd get her medical and everything taken care of by working with a lawyer to hand pick the parents. But pregnancies are hard to hide and there will be the lingering questions from people around her when she has to tell them she put her child up for adoption.

No one has to know with an abortion.

Either way you look at it, unplanned pregnancy is a huge thing for women to handle.

25. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

I'm sure market rates for Abortion have many variables in different markets.

But even 475$ is a good value I think, compared to the costs of pregnancy, let alone the huge costs of raising a child, and providing for it...