MIL Serious question here...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Indagator, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

My best friend's younger brother is wanting to join the Marines. Her husband wants him to join the Navy (for various reasons that I'm not all sure of so can't comment on that part). He's lead a rebellious life (somewhat) and gotten in trouble some now and then. The main worry is that he's mostly interested in the Marines because they seem to him to be the most "Bad ass". My thought is that he'll end up stationed wherever he does depending on his MOS, but I really dont know (both of my parents were Airforce and my dad did recon photography in Vietnam, but never saw actual combat to my knowledge).

She (best friend) and I agree that the military woud help him alot seeing as how he seems to thrive more in situations where he *has* to do something (via orders, etc). Yes, he's a bit rebellious, but I was too so I'm not gonna judge him on that. The thing is, I feel that something more "physical" would be most helpful for him, but also I wouldnt want to see him in heavy combat or anything and I'm sure his family would feel the same.

The question is this...which MOS would keep him out of too much danger, yet allow him to be in the Marines as well? Keep in mind, I personally would rather see him in Navy or Airforce to keep him out of so much danger (but that's me being selfish I know...I just dont want to see anyone take a loss. And yes you're allowed to flame me for that, it's fine :p). If it makes it better I really hate to see any losses at all, but I know they will happen in this situation.

Guys keep in mind that although my parents were in the AF, I'm a military noob. Any constructive advice about either the Marines or Navy is very much appreciated, since those two seem to be the foremost choices.

Thanks for your time :).

2. Accord

Accord New Member

Let him make his own decision. How old is he?

How much does he know about the Marines? If he doesn't know much about them at all and just thinks they're the most badass and that's the only reason he wants to join, then take him to a recruiter and have the recruiter explain to him about corps values, esprit de corps, and all that other stuff which makes the Marine Corps so great.

If he will be happy in combat arms and that's what he wants to do, then that's what he should do. He shouldn't pick an MOS because his parents just want to keep him out of danger, and his life and when he joins he will be a man that should be able to make his own decisions. There are so many articles and stories about Marine postal clerks, supply admins, air wingers, etc. being cross trained into provisional rifle companies patrolling the streets of Iraq, so it really doesn't matter if he picks an MOS where he'll be behind a desk all day.

Go here for a list of all MOS' in the Marine Corps: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

My parents shit a brick when I told them i'm joining the Marines, then they just about passed out when I told them I was going infantry of all things.

3. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

you are NOT in the Marines. how do you know its so great. the military is not for everyone. you may join and hate it and want to get out. quit fucking saying shit is great when you never experienced it.

4. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

He's 21 years old. Though he really dosen't know much about the Marines, he went to see a recruiter today. He will do what he wants to though, regardless of anyone else's opinion. His sister (best friend) wants him to be happy above all else. She wants him safe of course, but says she's more worried about him being happy more than safety. He's excellent with Mathematics, and very book smart. He's also in "superb" shape. He needs enough physical stuff to keep him settled as well. So, he's strong with math/abstractions , but also needs enough physical stuff to help him burn off the energy.

I don't know how the rest of his family feels about it atm, but I know that he's had (legal) problems in the past and this is something that is both an "escape" and "opportunity" for him persay. I can't go into too much detail because of confidence, but I think that the military would be excellent for him overall. The issue at hand is whether or not he would be better set in the Navy or the Marines. I'm kind of trying to find the middle knowing that he's extremely good with mathematical type stuff, yet needs that physical outlet too (I'm assuming you cant run too much on a submarine :dunno: ).

More or less, any input into military careers/choices is much appreciated. Thank you for the reply, Accord :). Should anyone else have some input please feel free to contribute :).

5. DaRkPhAnToM

if he has felony charges he cant join the marine corps as far as i know. it might be waiverable but im not sure.

6. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

He has a felony charge that he pleaded first offender on. If he gets through his probation with no incidents, his record is clear. As far as I know (and I could be wrong) his probation lasts for another 3.5 years. I'm told that his probation would be nullified if he joins the armed services. So, if that is the case...would the Marines accept him since his probation "would" be nullified?

7. DaRkPhAnToM

not sure i suck with anything law related. theres a few guys on here that know that stuff good, im sure they will post in here.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

You don't have to be in the Marines to know that the Marine Corps is great, this is common knowledge and pretty much everyone knows it. I don't see why i'm not allowed to say that Marines are great, it's not like i'm giving advice on how to do well in combat or something where personal experiences would obviously be needed.

I don't think studlei, trn, or any of the other Marines on here are going to be pissed at me for saying that Marines are great :dunno:.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  9. djbuzzfuzz

djbuzzfuzz OT Supporter

First of all. lemme say that i have 10 years of ACTIVE DUTY EXPERIENCE in the Marine Corps.
    WE are not in the business of taking pieces of shit and turning them into model citizens.
    Im sure that your state correctional facility has a program that will better fit his needs.
    Depending on the time of year(desperate towards the end of the year to fill a quota)He cannot join with a felony.
    Another thing,The Marines corps doesnt have a whole lot of "SAFE" jobs to begin with.And what very few there are, i highly doubt some thug with a felony could get the required security clearance to begin with.

I almost forgot,IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THE MARINE CORPS....STOP RUNNING YOUR SUCK ABOUT SOMETHING YOU'VE SEEN ON T.V.!

10. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

:bowdown:

:wavey: from a 0341 in Camp Hit, Iraq

11. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Make him an 0311

12. DaRkPhAnToM

see Accord im not the only one that gets pissed off about that shit...

13. pakman

pakman New Member

I'm sorry but you're just plain ignorant. No explanation needed.

14. pakman

pakman New Member

No, it's common sense. If someone has never experienced military life, or anything for that matter, how can they speak so highly of it? That's ignorance. Clear enough?

15. Capitals

Capitals Guest

heres a Marine that wishes you would :gtfo2: every now and then

by all means talk about what expect it to be like, ask all the questions, give advice about MEPS and the DEP program but don't talk about the fleet till you've been there. and for the record straight out of boot/mct/inf school is not the fleet, you still won't have a fucking clue.

it is not all great, theres a lot about it that's good but it is not all great and I guarentee you ANY sane Marine will tell you the exact same fucking thing

and lim before you even say shit, don't. you have no more expierence than he does. i know both of you are highly motivated and that's GREAT but please wait till you at least have a damn unit you can claim before you start talking about what its like or giving advice to people.

/rant

16. DaRkPhAnToM

Accord is avoiding this thread like its the plauge :mamoru:

17. DaRkPhAnToM

18. Accord

Accord New Member

Mabye my expectations of what it's going to be like are too high or something, I dunno. When I said the Marine Corps was great, I meant just everything about it that defines what it is, like the epic history with Chesty Puller, Dan Daly, etc., the esprit de corps, "once a Marine always a Marine," and all that good moto stuff, you know what I mean? I didn't mean for what I said to come off as being in the fleet is great since i've never experienced it. I've been wanting this my whole life and now that i'm so close to stepping on the yellow foot prints, my motivation is at an all time high, this will probably result in my future postings to be more and more annoying as my time comes closer and closer :mamoru:.

If I pissed anyone off I apologize.

19. DaRkPhAnToM

all you know his history. big woop. anyone can read books or websites and learn shit like that. wait till you have to shoot, road march, react to an ambush, clear a room, etc. its completely different then knowing history. if know a lot of history/knowledge AND can do the other stuff, then you will be a good marine/soldier/whatever. until then read your books and shit, im sure you will be in for a rude awakening once you hit boot...

20. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

...to say nothing of all the shit details that the lower ranks have to do.

I think it's normal for anyone that has made such a life-changing decision to be hyped up on the prospects of what is in store for them. Just understand that people that are currently in the shoes you are looking forward to wearing are having to go through the sometimes nasty reality, instead of the glorious traditions and honor that the Corps is known for. The traditions and honor are there. But the daily grind far outshines the hype while you are the one doing the grinding.

I'm not a Marine, but that's the way it is with just about everything in life.

21. Accord

Accord New Member

I know this doesn't really mean anything at all, but in 3 weeks there is supposed to be an actual DI coming to one of our poolee meetings to give us a taste of what it's going to be like :noes:. He's just going to do typical DI stuff I guess and we're going to run a PFT with him. Poolee meetings are fun though, we always beat up on the recruits from the Navy recruiting station next door in softball/flagfootball/etc. :mamoru:.

22. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:fawk:

23. Capitals

Capitals Guest

:werd:

All you're learning about and are going to learn about at boot is the Old Corps, shits changed. They never teach you what you really need to learn, dealing with bad NCOs, SNCOs would rather skate and fuck their Marines than do some work and help them, Officers that contradict everything keeping the Marines tight and together.

You'll learn this pretty fast once you get to MOS school and beyond but you've already been fucked by Marines doing stupid shit in the past. All I can say is try not to let it get to you. It hits home hardest to the real moto guys that came in expecting the exact oppisite.

Now, through all this do the core values still exist? Of course, it's just a matter of putting up with the TONS of bullshit you're going to be dealing with through your career that determins what kind of Marine you'll end up being. Pick up some actual rank and mabey you can start changing stuff for the better, our new Co. 1st SGT deffintley is, the last one had a serious Napolean Complex and fucked us over every chance he got.

If you get stationed in Okinawa just get ready for that times a whole lot more.

I'm still renlisting. :dunno:

24. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Yeah that's gonna be a complete joke. Trust me he's not going to give you a taste of what it's going to be like in front of a bunch of civilians.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::bowdown::rofl::rofl::rofl: