MIL serious question about switching from AF to the Marines

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NisAznMonk, Apr 2, 2007.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Not sure how to start, but here goes. I'm enlisted AF, and I haven't even been in for a year. My initial goal was to do my 20 and retire, but as we all know goals and expectations change.

I'm buying my first motorcycle from a Navy Major and we got to talking about what the military looks for in an officer. As the conversation went on I kept thinking to myself that I eventually wanted to commission, but since the AF is cutting back that might be a hard thing to do. The Navy Major suggested I keep my options open and see if the other branches of the military would be easier to go from enlisted to the officer ranks. Coming into the Navy through an ROTC program he had no clue on what needed to be done, but he did refer me to a buddy of his.....a Marine Captain (apparently a Major select).

Had a short phone conversation with the captain (about 45 minutes long) and he got me to thinking why I wanted to become an officer. Obvious reasons would be the pay and retirement benefits. I have a few other reasons listed now as well.

To those who have went from the enlisted ranks to the officer ranks..was it worth it? Do any of you know of anyone that has switched services? Right now in the back of my mind I am telling myself I am crazy to consider going from the enlisted ranks of the Air Force to the officer ranks of the Marines...and go through 9 months of officer training. I didn't even enjoy the 6.5 weeks of AF BMT and it wasn't that hard. Right now I'm pretty comfortable where I'm at, but I know I can't settle for just being comfortable. The military obviously changes all the time, and if I plan on surviving then I have to at least have an understanding of what my options are.

Sorry about the long winded thread, but I had to ask. Any advice would be great. I'd prefer this be a semi-serious discussion if thats at all possible :x:

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

well first thing you need to do on your way to becoming an officer is learn ranks

there is no Major in the Navy

3. Mangos

Mangos New Member

:rofl::rofl:

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:rofl::bowrofl:

5. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Step 1, finish your degree if you haven't already.

Step 2, talk to your education office and even recruiters from other branches about commissioning programs.

Step 3, read your PFE, it has ranks for each service ;)

6. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Whatever an O-4 is? His tan flight cap look-a-like has a gold star (or leaf) on it :)

Edit: I meant Lieutenant Commander :)