Serious fitness newb question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by athan, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athan

athan Guest

1. Thanks for the sticky, it helped.

I'm currently 5'10'' and 225lbs and i'm not in shape. I'm getting married in 1 year and, even though she doesn't complain, I want to look good for my wife on our wedding night (and the rest of my life).
    Here is my current plan:

1. diet
    a. cutting myself off of soda. I've been drinking diet. going to use caffine pills to deal with the headaches till I can get off of those too.
    b. cold turkey on sweets. sugar intake looks to be one of the main contributors to body fat. I guess it's time to kill the snickers addiction.
    c. Higher protien foods like chicken and tuna as part of a balanced diet. I don't think burgers and fries will work with me here.

2. Building muscle. utilizing my breaks at work to go do some reps instead of moving from my desk to somewhere else I can go sit on my can. I guess somone else thought of this since there is a gym in the basement. (this will get me about 30min/day strength training 1 day / week.

3. "complete" workouts on tuesday and thursday (first and last day off work) at the gym consisting of squats, leg lifts, seated row, pull down fron and back, and the dumbell lifts I currently know.

4. Doing this sprint workout with the help of my fiance and Dog. Ironically, I do something similar to this just to play with him. So I'll really just be lengthening the run and timing it for consistency.

I realize that I'm one of a billion people who are fat and need to do something about it..... but I really do want to do something about it.

If you have something you think I should consider please take the time to help a bro out. hopefully in a year from now I'll be just one more brolly leetist prick making fat guys all self conscious

2. Crush

Crush Epidural hematoma up in this bitch

Looks like you've got a good plan. Now implement it and make sure you stick with it.

A trick I've found to help lose weight is to eat around 6 meals per day, usually separated by 2-3 hours. For reference, I've lost around 11 lbs and my lifts have stayed the same or gotten stronger. (5"11 200 to 5"11 188) just from diet alone. In case it wasn't obvious, you eat less at each meal. Also try to eat more fiber and less saturated fats and triglyceride rich foods.

3. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

good luck sounds like you can hit your goals starting a year out instead of 2 weeks away

4. athan

athan Guest

I have no doubt that dropping 40 -50 lbs is going to be hard but my fiance is on board helping be stay dedicated and I will probably update this thread as I fight the war.

Any suggestions for healthy snack foods I could much between meals at my desk at work? 6 meals isn't feasible for me but I have been cutting back on my main meals. yesterday I just snagged a pb and j at the desk with a 4g/serving bread.

OH, and I forgot to state that this is the spring workout I was going to start with... stole it from another post.

Track/road/somewhere you don't mind looking crazy and out of shape.
    Day 1 is Tuesday Day 2 is Thursday.

Day 1: 60 second all out sprint + 3 min recovery x 3 reps
    Day 2: 60 second all out sprint + 2 min recovery x 4 reps

Day 1: 60 second all out sprint + 3 min recovery x 4reps
    Day 2: 60 second all out sprint + 2 min recovery x 5 reps

Day 1: 60 second all out sprint + 3 min recovery x 5 reps
    Day 2: 60 second all out sprint + 2 min recovery x 6 reps

Day 1: 60 second all out sprint + 60 sec recovery x 5 reps
    Day 2: 120 second all out sprint + 2 min recovery x 3 reps

Day 1: 60 second all out sprint + 60 sec recovery x 6 reps
    Day 2: 120 second all out sprint + 2 min recovery x 4 reps

Day 1: 60 second all out sprint + 60 sec recovery x 7 reps
    Day 2: 120 second all out sprint + 2 min recovery x 5 reps

Print that out. That is six weeks of sprint training right there that if you follow it and don't slouch, will shed some fat and increase your VO2 Max. (lung capacity)

And lift weights. Your metabolism stays up for something like 30 hours after your last rep.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

bullshit, I sit at a desk either at work or in class all day and have no problems getting 6 meals in.

a PB&J is not a healthy snack, it's loaded with fat.

6. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

Make a log here too if you think it will help you stay focused. It's really easy to eat 6 times a day if you prepare your food ahead of time and get into a routine of doing it.

7. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

WTF you can't get 6 meals a day so you cut back on main meals? What do you think that will do exactly?

6 meals a day is possible for 95% of people if they just prepare meals ahead of time and learn to use tupperware.

Other thank that your plan looks more well thought out than most noob posts...good luck with it.

8. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:werd:

while I can'tr relate... tupperware is your friend. Try to use fitday.com to get an idea on exactly your calories and macros.

Even a protein shake or MRP should be covenient before and after lunch.

As said, good work on giving yourself a year rather than crash dieting a few weeks before.:bigthumb:

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

6 meals a day won't help him lose more weight than 4 meals

10. smb is me

smb is me New Member

beef jerkey for a snack

edited: Another thing worth adding. When eating healthy, you have to make the decision at the grocery store, not in the kitchen. If you buy shit (or the fiancee buys shit) no matter how many trips you resist it when you're in the kitchen, sooner or later you'll eat it. Buy healthy, eat healthy.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  11. athan

athan Guest

Thanks for the positive encouragement. I'm completely serious when I say i've never tried to eat healthy before.... hence thinking bread and peanut butter was a good way to have fiber and protein. while I appreciate the good hearted flaming about my ignorance from several of you. but it would be better if you could help me with some good alternatives to fat man food that I can prep ahead of time. or get me started somewhere.

so far I have

beef jerky

i was thinking maybe plain tuna on club crackers?

12. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

than eat 4 meals...wasn't my idea anyway

13. athan

athan Guest

GAAH, I just started a FitDay journal.... no wonder i'm such a fat ass. the food i'm taking in is FULL of fat and carbs. When I get off work i'm going to pick up some apples and bananas and maybe some fat free fruit dip. Still looking for suggestions.

14. Joseph Scumsworth

Joseph Scumsworth OT Supporter

Fruits and dips are still loaded with carbs.

15. Ceaze

eggs
    fish
    chicken
    lean beef
    turkey
    protein powder

16. athan

athan Guest

thanks, any suggestions for protein powder that doesn't taste like ass? I'm guessing these are supposed to give your stomach a "full" feeling?

17. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

optimum nutrition is pretty much the standard here

18. athan

athan Guest

I'd love to meet the goal of having a mind over matter attitude about food in the near future. Realistically though, there is a reason i'm a fat man. I'm going to work with fruits and veggies as a larger part of my diet and see if I can work more towards the optimal diet. I know myself well enough to know if I make my body feel hunger I'll most likely fail and binge eat. :(

19. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Type of protein matters a lot. Whey is quickly digested. Eat some no fat cottage cheese if you want something that will plug up your gut and has a lot of good protein.

You're learning, but you haven't the slightest clue about what is going on, I can tell. Read the nutrition sticky and model your diet after the "If you want to be a bodybuilder" thread.

Also, in a year you won't be anything approaching broly. However, you have the rest of your life to learn about your body and apply effort to being healthier. Don't sweat it.

20. Ceaze

Why would you eat no fat?

21. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Stop being weakminded and keep tracking your food choices on fitday. Buying a food scale can help you track your portions.

22. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Less calories.

23. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

body needs fat

24. athan

athan Guest

actually, broly was more of an exageration to make a point... to my self if no one else. I want to be generally healthy. I don't have time to nor do I want to be as ripped as most of the "broly" crew but I'd like to see my abs by the time i'm 30 and see if the 1 inch dick length / 10 lbs over weight legend is true. I appreciate the advice and I'll listen to anything.

25. athan

athan Guest

trust me... my body has plenty to last for quite some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.