Serious computer problem (video card?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RanciD, Aug 20, 2005.

1. RanciD

RanciD New Member

I've been having a lot of problems with my video card lately. I have a radeon 9800 pro with catalyst drivers. The drivers were from a couple months ago. I've been playing World of Warcraft and never had a problem until recently. Every now and then if I zoomed in on stuff my computer would lock up and reboot. Then I noticed the graphics getting really wierd. My FPS was fine and everything, but the graphics would flash and random jagged things like lightning bolts would flash all over the screen all the time. Finally, today it got to the point where it was crashing after about 3 minutes everytime I booted up, even if I wasn't playing a game or anything. Today I installed the newest catalyst drivers to see if that would help anything. Same problems. I shut it down, took the side of the PC off and put a big fan up to it thinking maybe it was overheating. I came back to it later and tried again. The graphics weren't all chopping up like before, but the crashing was the same. I then uninstalled the new drivers and installed the Omega radeon drivers, still the same exact problem. Is the video card dead for sure? I'm posting from my laptop now, my desktop won't even stay on long enough to get to this site.

Here's other stats if they matter:

MSI Radeon 9800 pro
    Athlon 64 3500
    1gb ram
    Abit AV8 motherboard
    I use onboard network and sound card

Nothing is overclocked. If I go into bios the CPU temp starts around 45 degrees and will steadily climb to the mid 50s.

2. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Try another video card, try testing the memory with memtest86, check the voltages from the PSU with a multimeter.

The video card may or may not be the problem, it may just be passing on a different issue.

3. RanciD

RanciD New Member

Alright I'm going to get my friends Radeon 9600 and try out memtest. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you updated. :)

4. RanciD

RanciD New Member

Ok I figured I'd try checking the ram the old fashion way real quick before I went to my friend's and I THINK I found something interesting. I have two 512 sticks. I pulled out the first and tried to boot up...nothing. Nothing at all. I turned it off, put that stick back in and pulled out the other. Turned it on and it booted up fine. I'm going to boot up WoW now and see if it still crashes after a few minutes.

5. RanciD

RanciD New Member

Nope, computer still crashing. :/

6. RanciD

RanciD New Member

Alright I'm going to try a new video card next.

7. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

is it catalyst?
    ive heard some issues with the current driver

8. RanciD

RanciD New Member

I tried the new catalyst but the problem was the same with the new catalyst, the old catalyst, and the Omega drivers. Could I try just taking out the video card and uninstalling all the drivers to see if it was the problem?

9. RanciD

RanciD New Member

One other thing I forgot to mention. If I've got Winamp running when it crashes the whole screen will go black but I can still hear Winamp playing music for a few seconds before everything dies completely. I don't know if this helps anything though.

10. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

ok i just read about someone saying they had overheating issues with catalyst 5.6. and 5.7 and that 5.5 resolved them

11. Javi

Javi Active Member

On a semi-related note, I have a 9800 Pro as well. When I upgraded to the new drivers, World of Warcraft went haywire, as well as other games. What a pain... I had to roll back to 5.5.

Sounds like your card might be overheating - check the fan on the card (if applicable)

12. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

My 9700 Pro runs everything fine, and it's based on similar architecture.

BUT - It has upgraded cooling that is not connected to the card's fan power connector.

It's got one of those fancy Vantec things.

ATi may have a power management glitch, a la 6x.xx nVidia driver build Ti4200 style.

13. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

keleko pointed me to omegadrivers.net and they solved my resolution issues. might give that a try