SRS Serious Alcohol Problem - Remedies?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GTAce076, Oct 15, 2004.

1. GTAce076

GTAce076 Indedennis Day

Long thread, you dont have to read it all...I've put all of the background info in the first part, the question/advice in the last part.

--------------------------------------------------
    Background
    --------------------------------------------------

Here's the situation...

One of my friend's (and yes...it's a friend, not me...lol...) moms is severely alcoholic...it's really torn apart their family. She's unemployed and sits in her room all day wasted 24/7. She never does anything w/ the fam, never associates w/ them, and even when she goes out...she's drunk. She has a car, but everybody in the family refuses to give her keys, sometimes they've had to disconnect the battery bc she finds them (she doesnt know how to reconnect the batt)

Just recently something huge has happened...The dad sleeps in another room, because he can't stand to sleep in the same bed as her. He's woken up on THREE SEPARATE nights and she has either been sitting or standing right next to him, awake and staring at him. He doesnt really know what to think, but he's afraid she's been thinking about doing something to hurt him in his sleep. He's decided to move out of the house. Right now he's staying in a hotel. He doesn't know how long he's gonna stay there...he'll also occasionally stay w/ his daughter in her apartment.

----------------------------------------------------
    QUESTIONS
    ----------------------------------------------------

QUESTION 1 -

As you can tell, this has become more than just a drinking problem...it's tearing the family apart, and has become potentially dangerous for not only the alcoholic, but also those living w/ her...They've tried to get her help in the past, but she refuses to go to meetings or therapy.

Does anybody have ANY ideas on how to remedy the problem? ANY way she can get help if she's not willing up front...

QUESTION 2 (possible solution)

Does anybody know what happens when severe alcoholics are deprived of alcohol entirely? Are there medical/life threatening problems involved with that? I know when she goes w/o alcohol for a couple days or so, she starts shaking...she's never gone long term without it.

This all might be a moot point because if she gets desperate, she'll walk down the street (about 2 miles round trip) to buy booze...so it might be impossible to keep all alcohol from her short of locking her up.

If anybody knows if depriving a severe alcoholic of alcohol completely has any severe side effects, that would be great info to know.

Thanks for listening

2. Phish Esq.

Phish Esq. New Member

Yeah what chaotic said. She would need benzodiazipines coming off alchohol. The situation about her hurting him would warrant a Baker act, which is the above mentioned 72 hour observation commitment. They would take care of the meds.

3. GTAce076

GTAce076 Indedennis Day

Thanks a bunch for the advice/info...I'll pass on the message and keep you updated...I don't know if their family is ready for something so drastic, but we'll see...

If anybody else has more advice, I'd love to hear it...thanks again

4. jeff2577

jeff2577 OT OG

Dated a chick who was like that. Blew a .26 on a breathalizer.

Her mom and sister had the same issues, and both over came them. The sister after her husband beat her enough to put her in the hospital.

But I digress. On the norm alcoholism is a tough addiction to over come. Mainly because it is socially acceptable. You are constantly tempted and requires major life changes.

Best bet is for the guy to bail out and provide the best he can for the family.

5. scottymcc

scottymcc New Member

1: She needs psychiatric help.

If she seems a danger then she needs round the clock supervision

2: Depriving an alchohlic from booze entirely can kill them, 30% of those who don't get emergency treatment will die.

6. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

absolutely... they say one of the worst ideas for an alcoholic is to attempt treatment without help or to try to go dry without a program...

7. PurpleStuff

PurpleStuff New Member

Good luck