MMA Seperating truth from reality... UFC/Pride

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GSPFAN, Mar 2, 2006.

1. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Alright guys, it is time for reality to show its face... :coolugh:

We discuss/argue/joke every day over and over on so many of the same topics and it is time to set things strait.

We all love MMA, we wouldn't be here on OT if we didn't. We all have opinions of UFC and Pride. Here is what I have to say on all that;

Pride is and has always been the worlds largest MMA attraction. OVERALL it attracts the best fighters and puts on the best show. It does these things because it has the financial capabilities and obviously believes in it's fighters. Regardless of the organization this is a tough business but it is getting easier with time and increased fan support.
    Both UFC and Pride being the two most argued about put together great events. Someone said, Pride is the World Cup, while UFC is the Superbowl and I kind of agree with that. That doesn't mean UFC can't get to Pride status but for now that are not there. For what the UFC is today, their cards are pretty good. Each event features different weight classes, different fighters, and different themes. I don't think there is actually BAD fighters in either of these organizations but there certainly are more well known fighters in Pride.
    Pride Pays their fighters better, that's why they get bigger names. let's not make me play the role of Captain Obvious here, but if you were a mainstream fighter would you want to make decent money for putting your lively hood on the line every time you get in the ring or cage? Other then money, some fight UFC because it was their dream to do so growing up watching on PPV and the money isn't the reason. Some want to be more local of a fighter with fan support of people they know and live around rather then from Japan.

Either way you cut it, both events have different styles and business plans. Both put amazing athletes in the ring to prove themselves and in realty regardless of names, if you see a GREAT fight do you honestly care who beat up who or do you care that you just got done watching a KICKASS fight!

I think Dana needs to lose the greedy spirits and start giving more to his fighters or they will all eventually leave him as other MMA events start to grow. I think he needs to build his own fight stadium in Vegas and keep all the concession profits, parking profits, and things like that for his fighters to give them more money. IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME!

Hey is am a huge GSP fan, but to tell you the truth I am a bigger MMA fan, I never care who really wins as long as I see a good fight, and I don't care if I see it on Pride, UFC, K-1, or anywhere else.

Honestly, what could UFC do differently right now to compete with Pride? There is no quick fix or strategy, it will just come with time. Like putting on a show in California at the Pond, there is a good start.:hsd:

2. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

These two alone would make a WORLD of difference/change. The only catch 22 about this one is they dont want to pay out more money and thats what its gonna take to get fighters from outside the UFC to come, and also add the fact that if they allowed the guys to go to other venues the THEY will most likely pay them as you say "what they deserve". So it's all gonna either rest on more money or having a couple of guys that are dedicated to the sport and will take a pay cut(provided they arent required to lock in with UFC).

3. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i don't think the problem here is Dana...dana is an awesome business man...look what he has done for MMA/UFC in the past few years...it's pretty amazing....he pays the fighters the amount he does because he can....it's good business. the fighters for the most part will gladly accept UFC's offers and Dana will gladly pay them...the problem is there is almost no competition for Dana in the UFC to make him pay fighters more. Pride does compete with K1 for fighters and ratings. Silva gets paid his nice contract because K1 was so interested in buying him out forcing Pride to give Silva what he deserves

4. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

So basically we need to keep supporting grass roots events in hopes that they someday get big enough to compete for fighters ?? Makes sense

5. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

or have Pride/K1/Cage rage get larger in US and give dana something to worry about

6. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I think for that to happen theyd have to bring an event(or several) here, the typical US viewer doesn't watch Pride or K1 bc since its not held in the US it feels like there is a big disconnect (its strange soundin but tru) bringing a why should I care kind of attitude, although I ain't gonna lie and say personally id fucking love to be able to actually go to one in Japan, that would be my :bowdown::bowdown: experience.

7. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Wait, how do you seperate truth from reality? :confused:

8. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

All Pride needs to do is hit the US/North America is a great marketing campaign. Philly's local sports channel broadcasts Pride shows/highlights late at night. Right now MMA is a niche market in the US (like WRC or F1). A brilliant marketing campaign could get new viewers. This is exactly what TUF did for the UFC. They spent a lot of time introducing/conditioning the American fight fan to the fact that a ground fight is a good fight and not boring.

Once we can watch an event where most of the fight is spent on the ground and not hear booing from the fans, we'll know the US, in general, finally gets it.

9. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Did you read or just cut and copy fuck tard.

10. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

:werd:

I think Pride and the UFC would be smart to do more cross-over events, like Liddel vs. Rampage, stuff like that, it would get the NA fans more interested in Pride, and it would kinda develope loyalties and you could get some good rivalries going on.

I've ordered a few Pride PPV's, and frankly, I just didn't like them, I didn't like the commentators, the only time you actually got to see someone do the walk out was if they were Oriental (not joking, we noticed this a number of times), and there definetly seemed to be some racial undertones in the coverage of the whole event.

Maybe I just don't know enough about MMA yet to appreciate Pride, I really like the UFC though. :dunno:

11. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

i love both, but one thing i always like is that the pride production always seems more grand. ufc... kinda cheesey... roman gladiators??!!?

12. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Pride definately puts a lot more money into their productions. It would be interesting to see a comparison.

13. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I dont think Rogan is as bad as people would like to portray him to be, but i definately think Bas Rutten > *

14. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Guest

i love them both. and although i know much more about ufc than pride, other than wandy cro and fedor , it is obvious that what tread started is saying is true for the most part....pride has been around much longer ( starting from the fertitta /dana days for ufcthats when they were reborn) and it is more of an international fighting organization...while ufc is mainly n.america..... but remember both have their pros and cons for either for diff ppl ..... and ufc is growing at a tremendous rate .... dana & co hopefully will pay the fighters more in time...but i think whether we favor pride or ufc or any other for that matter, MMA IS HERE TO STAY AND WE SHOULD ALL BE FUCKEN GLAD ABOUT THAT, i know i sure as shit am , it has become my new fav sport , and it has prompted me after 2 years of laziness to get into shape by joining an mma camp BTW this is thread staters older brother, he doesnt know much aboiut mma so if there are noob things i say it might be him MMA 4 IFFE !!!!!

15. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Guest

sorry i meant the older bro of tony montana ( so he thinks )