Sentra Spec V Opinions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Drewski, May 12, 2003.

1. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I'm looking to buy a new car, something I would use as my daily driver. I want something sporty and that I can do some mods on, thats not too expensive. I've also took a look at the Matrix XRs/Vide GT, Focus SVT and have even considered goin done south for an SRT-4.

2. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Guest

FWIW my dad just did almost exactly the same search. He is a diehard enthusiast, and was looking for a reliable, affordable daily driver with good interior space, easy to mod, good handling, fun to drive...and he chose the Matrix.

His first choice as a fun car would have been the Mazdaspeed Protege, but he wanted just a bit more space and prefers N/A to turbo...ditto for the Neon. He had a hard time finding a five-door SVT, so he never got a satisfactory test drive, but he was suspicious of quality control. He didn't like the Spec V...he said it was underwhelming overall and not particularly fun to drive. VW didn't offer a utilitarian car with enough sport for him. He looked at Honda and Suzuki for about two seconds before running the other way.

BTW, his Matrix already has STB, springs, shocks, intake, exhaust. He is shopping for rims and an LSD....I have never seen my dad mod a car this fast, but I have never seen him buy so plain a new car before either. I think his idea of baseline acceptable performance was above a stock Matrix.

EDIT: Oh yeah, for a week or so he was talking about building a MSP/MP5!! :eek3:

3. chimmike

chimmike Guest

the SpecV comes with helical LSD, 6 speed tranny, and great handling stock. The car responds very well to bolt on modifications, and a turbo kit was just finished on one. Baker.....the handling is FAR from unpredictable.........and Torque steer is what happens when you're NOT driving a honda. I'd rather have torquesteer and kickass off the line power than have to drag to 4-5k rpm to get the 2nd cam to kick in for power.

however..........I also drove an SRT4...and if you're willin to spend 19g...it's a GREAT straight line car. handling has more to be desired, but that can be fixed.

I own a sentra, not a spec V, and have turbocharged it............i beat spec Vs :) it's not super quick, but definitely a nice sleeper

4. LoveBack

LoveBack Guest

:werd:

It's got it all alright. All that, plus questionable reliability, possibly the worst shifter in a Japanese car today, and the ugliest front end of any car on the road.

5. chimmike

chimmike Guest

ugliest front end? You think a Neon looks nicer?

wow, I can't believe the idiocy here. Don't get me wrong, if I were to spend 19gs on a new car, I'd get an SRT4................but last i checked, there's nothing wrong with having too much power. Torque steer is unavoidable, especially with gobs of torque available at such low rpm. If you know a way to eliminate it, maybe you should be working for the car companies?

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

MAZDASPEED Protege...best overall performance to dollar ratio in any sport compact off the shelf...hands down.

7. chimmike

chimmike Guest

HAHAHAH 170hp turbo. Suuure, that's great. Sorry, I'll take an SRT4 before the MSP-Shit anyday.

8. jsmonet

jsmonet egg

msp is more of a handler, but the srt4 is a great all around car. if you want to save money, i'd get a p5 before i'd get a spec v

9. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

And not much room to increase the boost at that.

10. Se-arrrgh

Se-arrrgh Guest

Chimmike holy crap i know the spec guys give you all that shit why stick up for them man..... the majority of them are fuckin tools glad to here the 1.8 is still takin the boost well. :bigthumb:

I have an Automatic SER its a good fun daily driver that handles well

11. McBain

McBain Guest

I think he's sticking up for the car not the immature drivers. I have one too BTW.
    I guess b15 is representing here too! :)

12. rdaex

rdaex Guest

B15sentra in da heezy!
    <------ 2002 SpecV
    Love it.. hand me a Civic SI and Ill show you a pussy car
    Hand me a MSP and Ill show you how to blow up a tranny
    Hand me an SRT4 and Ill show you how to roll up the rear windows
    Hand me an SVT focus... and... well, I like those cars
    Hand me an RSX-S and Ill laugh at you because you paid 21 large for a compact.

Performance/Value = SpecV

13. LoveBack

LoveBack Guest

Speaking of blowing up things, how many 2.5s and worthless trannies did Nissan have to replace in 2002? Hmmmm

14. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

15. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

For those who don't know, the SE-R Spec V is now available with a 4-piston Brembo package, a la the 350Z Track. I saw one at the dealer on Monday, and the car was still under $20k.:bigthumb:

16. McBain

McBain Guest

Forced Induction Racing makes a turbo kit for the Spec V, puts down around 240 to the wheel and will hit the low 13's. It's a FULL package too everything you need and then some.

Fun car to drive!

17. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

You are out of your mind... and have no idea what you're talking about. It's one of the best handling FWD cars ever built, you just need to spend a bit of time behind the wheel to figure it out. The problem is that the dampening isn't perfectly matched to the spring rates... the springs are too stiff, which kinda give you a bit of a bouncey, floaty feeling at times. While the car handles great, that doesn't inspire confidence and makes it feel like it handles worse than it does.

As for understeer... what the fuck were you doing to make the car understeer? I've driven many RWD cars that have more of a tendency to understeer than this car does... the LSD does wonders for this car, point it, gas it, and you go that direction. I guarantee the SRT-4 with all that power and the open diff will have much more serious issues with understeer than this car... and torque steer in that car will be a problem as well.

The Spec-V is an awesome car.

18. MSPOWNZU

MSPOWNZU New Member

hahahaha dumbass sure an SRT 4 will take a MSP in the straight line but see you in the twisties and the SRT 4 is done like dinner.

19. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

for the money the sentra spec v is a pretty good car. not the dodge i'm used to :big grin: but a nice car at a good price imo. i would probably lean toward the srt4, however, as it does have better straight line acceleration and the suspension issues can be remedied.