Sennheiser HD 580 or HD 595?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Feb 2, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Looking for a pair of audiophile cans, the 580's I can get for under 180 bucks, whereas the 595s are like 270.

580 300ohm
    595 50ohm

I dont plan on getting a headphone amp, what should I do?

2. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah...

3. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

The 580's are easily the superior can of the two....but they're obviously tougher to power. What's your source? If you're going unamped from a portable or sound card I'd say probably go for the 595's. If you're able to pony up a few bucks for even a halfway OK amp (build a mint or something), the 580's are where it's at.

The 580's won't be too quiet to hear, or sound bad without some power....but some power will open them up and turn them into the awesome cans they are. More power on the 595's makes them louder...but they'll never be as accurate as the 580's.

(Note, I have 580's + 650 cable, amped by either a 1978 Onkyo A-5 or a custom multiloop)

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

hmm I was about to bid on one like that on ebay, did youy get it from there?

Ah well, itll probably be powered by an audigy2zs->optical output to 6.1 amp->headphone jack

The 580's would be better regardless? I dont plan on amped like I said, and I highly doubt that I would ever get one. Anywho, stoned off topic here... yeah

K, bottom line, just answer the question: 580 or 595, keeping in midn of price, power etc. I like pretty loud, clear music.

5. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I think the 580's should be a decent enough choice, does the 650 cable actually make THAT much of a difference?

6. eighteen_psi

You're barking up the wrong tree lookin at cables before an amp. Like I said, the 580's are the superior phones, and it's not really even close. But...you're not going to be A/Bing them like I did. The 595's are plenty good on their own merit, and they're f'ing spectacular compared to the shit most people have. The 650 cable works...it improves low end response and is a lot stronger...the 580 cables are small and easier to break. A friend upgraded to aftermarket cables for his 650s and i scored em on the cheep.

Speaking of which you need an awesome source and a very very keen ear to tell the 580's from 600's...the 650's are a bigger jump but still VERY VERY similar to the other two. They're all essentially the same can with evolutionary improvements. The 595's aren't in the same class IMO.

But again...I recommend an amp. A mint or something can be made very small, discreet and cool looking and will drive the 580's to the point where the 595's won't compete.

Most sources, especially portable ones, lack the muscle to do the 580's proper justice. If you insist on not amping, go with the 595s. Your reciever will almost certainly have the muscle to drive them. Whether or not it'll be clean enough to not bother you depends on the reciever. But then, the 595's will pick that up too.

That IS amped...just not a dedicated one. My A-5 is a 40x2 vintage receiver that happens to be very clean and very good at driving cans. Most modern ones aren't quite as clean but do have loads of power on the jack.

I say get the 580s and if you don't like them, flip them and get something else...they won't lose any value in the week you'll have them. I'd be very suprised if you weren't. Portable un-amped...you won't like them. If this is a concern, go 595's.

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah alright, im going after the 580's on ebay then...

How much power can they h andle? you said 40x2 for a vintage reciever, I still assume you mean headphone out on an old amp and not giving 40w to each cone

8. eighteen_psi

Yes :noes: I have no idea what that output throws out..but plenty, that's for sure.

Power handling though...um...more than you'll give them, that's for damn sure. Assuming the power is clean and you don't EQ up the sub-bass to ridiculous levels, your ears will scream for mercy before the cans will flinch.

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Sweet. Thats all I needed to know.

10. eighteen_psi

Oh...up 'loud' you can head my 580's anywhere in the house with ease :big grin:
    :bowdown: open phones

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well I will be buying 580's soon, more worried about getting my mr2 than headphones right now. That and get into my new apartment for march first. But thanks for all the input, senns ftw, does the amp really make THAT much of a difference?

12. eighteen_psi

Night, meet day. Day, night. :)
    It's not that they're bad unamped...an amp just opens them up to a level of quality most people have never heard.

13. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

What would be a recommendation for a good amp then? Just incase I do get some money sometime I dont have to whore up the forums with more threads.