senior CS proj ideas? Network Security/Hacking?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FalconXtreme, Nov 11, 2008.

1. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

Hey guys. i need to pick a senior comp sci project topic soon and i want to do it around network security and hacking so to speak. i dont have any experience in hacking so im hoping that this project can get my foot in the door.

i was hoping some of u guys could give me some project ideas?

2. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

what are some more details on this?

since its a senior project i'm guessing it's pretty open in terms of topic?
    what have you particularly focused on networking?
    what sort of system is this for (compiler, os...)?
    how big should the project be in terms of time?

3. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

ur right my topic is open as i want it to be.

i havent had any formal networking classes in college. only thing similar is my data communications class which is some what of an over view of how PCs communication. pretty much goes thru the whole OSI model.

our CS labs have xp, 2k3, and linux PCs. we also have tons of cisco switches, routers, and hubs that i could use to setup various networks.

the project is to be completed and presented within one semester (january-april). i'm hoping to figure out something to do so i can start during xmas break.

4. HY

HY New Member

make some network capture software, easy. and then find some way to classify and graph the information.

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

or just install wireshark

6. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

WoRd

you could look into doing some type of IDS such as snort or something with OSSIM and Nagios? and test different pen testing techniques with say backtracks3

7. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

i have no idea what any of that stuff is...

8. HY

HY New Member

i wouldnt consider that much of a project. i was thinking about something along the lines of libpcap.

9. HY

HY New Member

what do you know about network security then?

10. ge0

ge0 New Member

I did an Online dashboard of a company that included franchise logins.. etc.. HUGE 800 table database

11. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I wrote a 3D graphics engine... pretty complete actually, supported anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing using my own algorithms, not to mention culling and occlusion testing and support for basic pixel shader algorithms (though that was kind of a cheat because adding that was trivial, its not really a feature of an engine but of the hardware itself). It also had its own file formats and I even wrote utilities to convert files from maya and 3DSmax to my format.

By far the hardest part was the math, I am not as good at math as a comp sci student should be and matrix transformations and stuff like that was a pain to figure out, never learned anything about that stuff in class.

it of course would not compete with OGL or D3D though :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008
  12. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

not much? i just know i like networks and have always wanted to try hacking. so i figured it would be kool to do it for my senior proj.

13. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Oh, I thought you meant senior in COLLEGE... so this is a high school project then? Do whatever the hell you want in that case you can get away with basically anything as long as you show you learned something.

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Then write a simple multitasking OS.

15. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

i am a senior in college. but its a small college and our comp sci dept is even smaller. so we dont offer any network security courses so far.:dunno:

also a multitasking os is boring to me so i wont actually do it well. i'm tryna do something with network security/hacking bc it interests me which will make me actually wanna do it.

16. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Oh I apologize... The way you said you had always wanted to try "hacking" and that you thought it would be "kool" gave me the impression you were younger and knew less about the field of computer science than a typical undergrad senior.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you can't do something well unless it fascinates you, then you've got a rude awakening in store when you actually get a job. It helps knowing you're getting paid to do whatever tedious drivel your boss assigns you, but it doesn't eliminate the boredom completely.

18. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

yea i definitely know that by now. but since this is my proj where i can choose my own topic. it only makes sense to choose something that i would be motivated towards.

anyway back on topic. ideas?

19. Frequency

Frequency New Member

/derail on

Fuck you we don't do that back on topic shit here. we drive the topic down the path we want and piss all over your thread.

/derail off

Now as for a project idea i honestly have no idea for my senior project we(team of 5) did a complete schooling website with alerts and grade monitors

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

http://www.hackcanada.com/ice3/2600/2600_14-4_p6.txt

Self replicating, self defending processes. Applications in healthcare, or any mission critical system. Smart processes know they have to run and won't let you or anyone else fuck them up.

I ported that code to C/shared memory/signals in highschool. Its an interesting area meriting research.

Have some security researcher friends I could put you in touch about it if you wanted to do this.

21. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

So you want to do a senior level project on something you know nothing about but think is "kool"?

Why not pick something you do know about?

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Maybe because he wants to LEARN about something interesting?

23. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

There are a million things you can do...

- Wardriving statistics on open AP's tied to google maps within your area.
    - Set up a facebook proxy and traffic sniffer, when idiots enter their facebook ID's (email addresses) and passwords, run a script againts those email services to show the relation of users who use the same identities across multiple applications.
    - take the same scripts and apply the results to identities on OT.
    - take the same scripts and compile dob, statistics, addresses, family members, history and web search results and compile a database of a random select userbase and then chart the effects of social networking/search spiders on privacy.

24. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i always wanted to hear more about bluetooth hacking, but some people think its a joke.

how about RFID tags...? they are in credit cards, i heard they are starting to put them in passports...with a decent scanner you can pick up tons of vital info by standing close to someone

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

RFID shenanigans would be super cool. Sniff passports. Sniff credit cards.