MIL Sending tobacco in care package? v.CanadianNavy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by teo, Sep 21, 2006.

1. teo

teo . => ? => !

Background: My brother's in the Canadian Navy, and he shipped out last week on what's expected to be a 6mo Gulf tour. I want to send him care packages. I'm not too worried about things like socks and skivvies, but I'd also like to send him some smokes and know that they would be classified as a restricted substance for shipping.

Problem: I can't for the life of me find out conclusively whether I can ship them without breaking some law or having the package detained. I looked on the Canada Post website and it said you can "import under x amount for personal consumption" but says nothing about exporting for the exact same purpose. I checked out the Tobacco Act itself, and that was even MORE cryptic (and still didn't answer my question!). I checked out the family resources for the base, which made reference to the Tobacco Act but still didn't give me an answer. I feel like I'm running in circles here. :rolleyes:

Now, I know that there are a LOT of smokers in service and I have a really hard time believing that this hasn't come up before. :hsugh: Has anyone here run into this before? How did you find out what to do and/or work with it? Any other suggestions? :x: TIA :)

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Put them in the socks and ship them.

3. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

i wouldn't worry too much about it! it's like $27 US for a carton of US Marlboros over there, so it'd probably be more expensive to send it than just to let him buy them.

4. Jyokker

Maybe he is sending Newport Light Menthols...

:mamoru:

5. teo

teo . => ? => !

:mamoru: Would he get his ass kicked if he was caught smoking those? Maybe I should send some as a joke! Actually I also entertained the idea of sending him some of those skinny Japanese cigarettes that are geared for women just as a practical joke, although I'm sure someone would ask for one if they were having a nic fit.

Seriously, though, he smokes Du Maurier. I don't know if they have those over there and I figured it'd be a nice treat for him if they don't.

6. Jyokker

Seriously, stick them in the socks and roll with it.

7. teo

teo . => ? => !

rofl - aighty, i will then :big grin: