Sending newsletter through PHP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheDarkHorizon, Mar 25, 2004.

1. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

I wrote a list which allows users to add themselves to a mailing list. I currently have 1500+ users on the list, and I was wondering what was the best way to send all these letters out. Could I pass all 1500 at once? Or do I need to break them up?

Also, does anyone know why when I pass "Bcc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc..." as the fourth parameter of send() as it's header, it will not send to any of those users?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

if the newsletter is static, then you can send just one email with all the addresses listed. Try seperating the Bcc: email addresses with a semi-colon instead of commas

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Also note that if you send it to all recipients as Bcc's then they will all get it, just none of them will see anyone else's address (probably what you want).

4. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Note that many mail servers have a limit as to how many recipiets a mail server can have, so don't go overboard with the Bccs.

5. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

This is what I was wondering about. I wasn't sure if I could do a Bcc to 1500 email addresses.

6. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Set up your script to send X amount per hour or 5 minutes etc. Generally the best way to do it is have the script send out like maybe 25-50 every few minutes to less the load on the mail server. Your host might p0wn u if you try to send 1,500 emails at once and may deem you to be sending spam. Talk to the host, they will help. Then make the script work around their policies. Good luck.

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yup, great ideas... you don't want to be black listed from your mail server. :)