MIL Sending a care package to Iraq

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChrisDC2, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ChrisDC2

ChrisDC2 Smooth

I've been cleaning out my room this weekend and accumulated a big pile of import car magazines dating from the mid 90s, Stuff, and Maxim. I guesstimate I have over 200 magazines of this sort. Instead of throwing them away or selling them for dirt cheap, I'd rather have our soldiers take them.

Does anyone know how I would go about this? I just filled up one moving box and it feels like it's over 100 lbs.

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Need to keep the weight down to less than 70lbs. Used to be that you could do an Any Soldier mailing to a unit but that practice has been nixed. Maybe someone on the board here can jump up with a name. I think there might be some great resources on www.americasupportsyou.mil but I'm not sure what's on it.

3. ChrisDC2

ChrisDC2 Smooth

Thanks for the reply, would you think the servicemen would greatly appreciate these? I've posted this on other boards and did get more negative replies than I thought.

4. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

There are a ton of people sending random stuff over there. It depends if it would be usefull or not.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Some of the guys over there would probably like them. The problem would be that you will have to ship them to a specific person, who would then have to pick them up from the mail center and bring them to wherever he is bunking. If he's in a major FOB and has room to spare, that might not be a problem. But if he's assigned to a remote camp and is living out of a sleeping bag in a tent or room with 6 other guys, it could be a huge problem.

I know your heart is in the right place but if it were me, I would just sell/give them away.

6. ChrisDC2

ChrisDC2 Smooth

Thanks for the insight Ranger.

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member