MIL Senate passes war funding, new GI Bill

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Jun 28, 2008.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

2. luke2o9

luke2o9 New Member

The GI BILL hasn't kept up with the cost with current cost of colleges so this is really awesome to current military members and veterans who wish to continue higher education. Hopefully the President will show his support and sign this into law.

3. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

its already been approved. fucking beautiful thing.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

So when will we be able to give it to our spouses and kids? And we will get our initial $1200 back?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  5. potam

potam que pasa?

Anyone care to explain what the new GI bill does?

6. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

8. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

this is me not giving two shits

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

New GI Bill Overview

Military.com <http://www.military.com> The new GI Bill (Chapter 33) or so-called "GI Bill for the 21st Century,"boasts the most comprehensive education benefits package since the originalGI Bill was signed into law in 1944.

Many post 9/11 veterans and service members will soon see a new package ofeducation benefits. This new Post 9/11 GI Bill, or so-called GI Bill for the21st Century, boasts the most comprehensive education benefits package sincethe original GI Bill was signed into law in 1944.

The new bill goes well beyond helping to pay for tuition; many veterans whoserved after Sept. 11, 2001, will get full tuition and fees, a new monthlyhousing stipend, and a $1,000 a year stipend for books and supplies. The newbill also gives Reserve and Guard members who have been activated for morethan 90 days since 9/11 access to the same GI Bill benefits.

The following fact sheet provides a quick reference to answer the followingquestions you may have about Senator Webb's Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Benefits Start Date

This new GI Bill is set to go into effect on August 1, 2009. However, aswith any new legislation, it could take some time for the Department ofVeterans Affairs (VA) to begin paying benefits.

Eligibility for the New GI Bill

If you have served a total of at least 90 days on active duty in the ArmedForces you're eligible. However, the amount of benefits you receive underthis program are determined by the actual amount of accumulated post 9/11service you have.

To be eligible for the full benefit, you must have three years of activeduty service after 9/11 or have been discharged due to a service-connecteddisability.

If you are an officer who graduated from a service academy or received ROTCscholarships, you also qualify for the new GI Bill benefits. However, yourROTC/Service Academy associated obligated active-duty service time does notcount toward the three years necessary to qualify for the full benefits.

Note: You didn't have to opt-in for the Montgomery GI Bill to be eligiblefor this program.

New GI Bill Payment Rates
    The Post 9/11 GI Bill will provide up to 100% of your tuition. In addition,the program provides a monthly housing stipend a stipend of up to $1,000 ayear for books and supplies. If you attend less than full-time will receivea portion of the payment based on the number of units of study.

The amount of tuition and stipends paid under the Post 9/11 GI Bill willvary depending on your state of residence, number of units taken, and amountof post Sept. 11, 2001 active-duty service. Here is a quick referenceshowing the percentage of total combined benefit eligibility based on thefollowing periods of post 9/11 service: .

100% - 36 or more total months .

100% - 30 or more consecutive days with Disability relatedDischarge. .
    90% - 30 total months .
    80% - 24 total months .
    70% - 18 total months .
    60% - 12 total months .
    50% - six total months .
    40% - 90 or more consecutive days

Tuition Rates Under the new GI Bill
    you will be provided tuition up to the highestestablished charges for full-time undergraduate students charged by thepublic institution of higher education in the State in which you areenrolled. One of the added features of this tuition payment plan is that the tuitionwill be paid directly to the school, relieving you of the responsibility.This is similar to the process used for military tuition assistance.

Monthly Housing Stipend
    If you are enrolled in a traditional college program as a full time orthree-quarter time student, you will be paid a monthly housing stipend equalto the monthly amount of the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5with dependents. The average housing stipend will be approximately $1,400 amonth. However if you attend distance learning programs such ascorrespondence courses and online you will not qualify for this stipend.

Book and Supply Stipend
    You will receive a lump sum payment the first month of each quarter,semester, or term. The payment will help cover the cost of books, supplies,equipment, and other educational fees for that academic term. The paymentamount will be equal to either a quarter or half of the annual $1,000 capfor that academic year, depending on how the academic year is divided -quarter or semester terms.

Benefits Expiration Date
    Unlike the Montgomery GI Bill, the new GI Bill will allow you to use thisbenefit for up to 15 years after your last discharge or separation fromactive duty. Licensing and Certification Payments This new GI Bill will provide up to $2,000 to cover the cost of one

licensing or certification test.
    This benefit is not charged against your 36month entitlement.

Tutorial Assistance
    Like the Montgomery GI Bill, the new GI Bill will provide up to a maximum of$1,200 for tutorial assistance. The program will pay up to $100 per month,for a maximum of 12 months. This benefit is not charged against your 36month entitlement.

Benefit Transferability
    Although the details have yet to be worked out, the new GI Bill will enableyou to transfer a portion of your 36 month benefit entitlement to adesignated dependent. This will likely require you to re-enlist to takeadvantage of this feature.

Comparing the Old and New GI Bill's
    The following table highlights the differences between the Montgomery GIBill<http://education.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/learn-to-use-your-gi-bill> and the New GI Bill.

Montgomery GI BillChapter 30

Post 9/11 GI Bill Proposed - Chapter 33

Payment Rate for Full-Time Student

Annually set - nationwide - monthly payment rate. Set to increase to $1321for 2008-2009. Paid to the student each month.

A payment indexed to full in-state tuition for public schools. A lump sumpaid directly to the school each term.

Duration of Program

36 Month entitlement.

36 Month entitlement.

Additional expense payments
    No additional payments for expenses.

Living Expenses - stipend based on local BAH for E-5 with dependents - paidmonthly avg. amount app. $1,400 a month.

Books and Fees - Up to $1,000 a year.

Eligibility Requirements
    Those who entered service the military after June 30, 1985.

Active-duty service since Sept. 11, 2001.

VEAP-era Eligibility
    No - Except those who elected to convert in the past.
    Yes - those who meet the eligibility criteria above.

Benefit Expiration
    10 Years after separation or discharge.
    15 Years after discharge or separation.

Transfer benefits to families

Limited - Currently Limited to Army for Critical MOS only.

Yes - Although the details are still to be released.

Enrollment fee

Yes - $1,200 None -

Those who have not yet completed paying their $1,200 for the MGIB mayelect to stop further payment.

Affects on Existing GI Bill Benefits I
    f you are already enrolled in the Montgomery GI Bill and also meet thecriteria for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you have the option to transfer yourremaining MGIB benefits to the new program. For many veterans this will be a good option. However, due to the tuitionlimits set by this new GI Bill, many veterans who are pursuing apost-graduate degree may find the MGIB betters suits their needs. This isalso true for those students pursuing an online degree, as this new benefitwill not pay the housing stipend to students enrolled in distance learning programs.

Further Eligibility Details: .

You qualify for 100% of the benefit if you have a total of atleast 36 months on active duty in the Armed Forces. This includes service onactive duty for entry level and skill training.

. You qualify for 100% of the benefit if you have a total of atleast 30 continuous days on active duty in the Armed Forces; and aftercompletion of service were discharged or released from active duty in theArmed Forces for a service-connected disability.

. You qualify for 90% of the benefit if you have a total of atleast30 months, but less than 36 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces.(including service on active duty in entry level and skill training).

. You qualify for 80% of the benefit if you have a total of at least24 months, but less than 30 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces.(including service on active duty in entry level and skill training).

. You qualify for 70% of the benefit if you have a total of at least18 months, but less than 24 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces.(excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training).

. You qualify for 60% of the benefit if you have a total of at least12 months, but less than 18 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces.(excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training)

. You qualify for 50% of the benefit if you have a total of at least6 months, but less than 12 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces.(excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training)

. You qualify for 40% of the benefit if you have a total of at least90 days, but less than 6 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces.(excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training)

10. dubrocker

dubrocker sho nuff

due to my overwhelming ADD, please someone explain or link to how spouses benefit? i see it can be transferred...

pretty please, with a fucking cherry on top, clean the fucking car.

thank you

11. EYOB

EYOB Guest

12. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

13. EYOB

EYOB Guest

14. c.a

c.a New Member

its now $80000
    bah equivalent to an E-5
    10 years and you can transfer to your wife and kids
    money for tutoring, tests, etc
    and no more 1200 dollars up front bull shit.

thats all i can remember off the top of my head, oh and cnn said it will cut retention by 60%. i dont know here they came up with that number but i sure as hell am not staying in now.

15. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

ROFL I guess this is going to backfire on the DoD.

16. dura

dura Guest

I'm with you, but I intended on going whether the bill flopped or not.

17. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

So if we already paid the 1200 into the MGIB, can we get that money back?? And how do we go about doing that?

18. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

from what I remember you get it back once you have used your benefits or something....I need to know this too, as I just finished paying my 1200 like a month ago

19. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'm paying the extra $600 right now...

20. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

stop payment immediatly

21. dura

dura Guest

IIRC there's a line in the form about it being non-refundable.

Kinda blows.

22. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

All - For those of you that have been on Active Duty since Sep 11 (that would beeveryone in uniform reading this), there are some sweeping changes to the GIBill. This bill is expected to be signed into law by the President beforeJul 4, 2008. One of the biggest advantages for older Airmen, like me, thathave had their education paid for under Tuition Assistance is the ability totransfer you benefits to your dependents. Another interesting thing aboutthe new program is that the buy-in cost has been lowered.to $0. Oncesigned, members who are paying for their GI Bill may elect to have thepayments stopped. If you have already paid the $1200 then you will receive that money back as the final payment when you exhaust the benefits. Readbelow for more details.

that is from the email I got from the first sgt in my squadron

23. dura

dura Guest

Well, that's pretty awesome. As for me electing for the ACF and taking a $6k stoop from my bonus, I'm probably fucked.

24. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

Well those democrats are good for something. Joining the military sounds much more appealing now

25. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I know. :sad2: