GUN Senate Gun Liability Bill

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ford4Life, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

C-SPAN 2 is covering the Senate debate of S.397, a bill to stop morons from suing gun companies for actions of a 3rd party. A Democrat has introducted an amendment to the bill that says if you buy ANY gun, you MUST also buy a trigger lock. If you refuse to do so, you can't buy the gun.

Yay, another fuckin' tax on gun sales. Ugh. They are voting on the amendment later today, I hope the piece of shit fails.

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

every gun i've ever bought has come with a trigger lock in the box:dunno:

3. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Every handgun i've seen that is NIB has had a lock with it, the only ones i havent seen with locks are shotguns and rifles.

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The amendment has yet to be written, so it's possible those will no longer be acceptable depending on how it's written. Who knows. They are voting on it right now.

Edit: Amendment passed, 70-30.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2005
  5. mvizos

mvizos New Member

even my rifles came with locks. even the cheap little savage from wal-mart. all my pistols had locks in them, from the manufacturer.

6. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

My pistol has a trigger lock. I dont use it because it looks so easy to cut. I just keep it in a locked jacket.

7. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

so wait, instead of including a free trigger lock, they're gonna make us pay for it? gay.

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Well, the final draft hasn't been written yet. They could say gun makers who already provide locks are exempt, but if your buying a NIB gun and it doesn't have a lock, you have to purchase one, or no gun. That would be my guess, but you never know.

Some Senators were trying to get gun show bans, and .50 cal rifle bans attached to S.397, so I guess we got lucky it's only locks.

9. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

so what about the lock amendment? we have that law here in ca. it's just a minor inconvenience. just pay for it when you pay for the gun and return it later. that's what i do.

we should all just be glad that somebody introduced a sane bill.

10. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

yea, it's only like 4 bucks. if you're spending 500+ for a gun anyway, doesn't make a difference.

11. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Ahh, if that ain't the slippery slope butterin' itself up, I don't know what is...

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

and gas is 2.50 a gallon which is made up of dozens of little 5-10 cent taxes added on top of each other on top of the real 1.00 a gallon cost.

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

pretty much every new rifle or shotgun comes with a lock nowadays; my rifle came with a very long rubber coated padlock and most shotguns have cable locks.

14. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

From an article I was reading about the subject

Of course cops and government workers would never be irresponsible, so why should they have to follow the law like us common folk? :greddy:

15. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

they're not doing anything wrong. they're not making us buy a seperate lock, the dealers have to include one. they're just adding safety precautions. fine by me.

16. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

*votes self another pay raise*

Woohoo, windfall baby!

17. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I can understand that in the sense that cops have 10x more safety training than the average citizen ever will, so I really don't see the problem with this. I don't follow the "government officials" part though, the term itself seems kind of vague.

18. Janson

Janson Bill Stickers in innocent. OT Supporter

hell they give them away at the local firing range

19. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The bill passed today, good ole fat Teddy Kennedy was foaming at the mouth.

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I would wager that an innordinate chunk of law enforcement officers have less safety skills than the average regular shooter. Now, you don't hear on the news that the average joe shot himself in the foot, because it's not really news, but you do hear it every time some cop shoots himself or someone else by accident through negligence. Cops are just as succeptible to poor firearm handling skills as anyone else.

The lock issue is just one more thing that the liberals can throw down on us. Next, they'll require that we USE the lock at all times, and that no firearms can be loaded or unlocked inside our houses. You guys fail to see where this is going in the future because you're stuck on the here and now. The democrats don't pass giant, sweeping bans on everything, though they've tried. They nibble away at freedoms, and next thing you know, you're up shit creek. The only way to prevent further erosion of the 2nd Amendment is to prevent further limitations on firearms ownership, carry, and use. It's that simple. And a little proactive pushing of your legsilators will possibly help us nibble back and get those freedoms back over time. Firearms people always want BIG changes, NOW. That's never going to happen, short of a revolution. We need patience, but determination. We need to nibble back, but nibble back hard.