GUN Semiautomatic Assault Weapons—What Are They? What's So Bad About Them?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 26, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1142608202/Snake_Scare

Bullet Hoses
    Semiautomatic Assault Weapons—What Are They? What's So Bad About Them?
    Ten Key Points about What Assault Weapons Are and Why They Are So Deadly

This study documents the following 10 important key points.

1. Semiautomatic assault weapons (like AK and AR-15 assault rifles and UZI and MAC assault pistols) are civilian versions of military assault weapons. There are virtually no significant differences between them.

2. Military assault weapons are "machine guns." That is, they are capable of fully automatic fire. A machine gun will continue to fire as long as the trigger is held down until the ammunition magazine is empty.

3. Civilian assault weapons are not machine guns. They are semiautomatic weapons. (Since 1986 federal law has banned the sale to civilians of new machine guns.) The trigger of a semiautomatic weapon must be pulled separately for each round fired. It is a mistake to call civilian assault weapons "automatic weapons" or "machine guns."

4. However, this is a distinction without a difference in terms of killing power. Civilian semiautomatic assault weapons incorporate all of the functional design features that make assault weapons so deadly. They are arguably more deadly than military versions, because most experts agree that semiautomatic fire is more accurate—and thus more lethal—than automatic fire.

5. The distinctive "look" of assault weapons is not cosmetic. It is the visual result of specific functional design decisions. Military assault weapons were designed and developed for a specific military purpose—laying down a high volume of fire over a wide killing zone, also known as "hosing down" an area.

6. Civilian assault weapons keep the specific functional design features that make this deadly spray-firing easy. These functional features also distinguish assault weapons from traditional sporting guns.

7. The most significant assault weapon functional design features are: (1) ability to accept a high-capacity ammunition magazine, (2) a rear pistol or thumb-hole grip, and, (3) a forward grip or barrel shroud. Taken together, these are the design features that make possible the deadly and indiscriminate "spray-firing" for which assault weapons are designed. None of them are features of true hunting or sporting guns.

8. "Spray-firing" from the hip, a widely recognized technique for the use of assault weapons in certain combat situations, has no place in civil society. Although assault weapon advocates claim that "spray-firing" and shooting from the hip with such weapons is never done, numerous sources (including photographs and diagrams) show how the functional design features of assault weapons are used specifically for this purpose.

9. Unfortunately, most of the design features listed in the 1994 federal ban—such as bayonet mounts, grenade launchers, silencers, and flash suppressors—have nothing to do with why assault weapons are so deadly. As a result, the gun industry has easily evaded the ban by simply tinkering with these "bells and whistles" while keeping the functional design features listed above.

10. Although the gun lobby today argues that there is no such thing as civilian assault weapons, the gun industry, the National Rifle Association, gun magazines, and others in the gun lobby enthusiastically described these civilian versions as "assault rifles," "assault pistols," "assault-type," and "military assault" weapons to boost civilian assault-weapon sales throughout the 1980s. The industry and its allies only began to use the semantic argument that a "true" assault weapon is a machine gun after civilian assault weapons turned up in inordinate numbers in the hands of drug traffickers, criminal gangs, mass murderers, and other dangerous criminals.

:run: :greddy:
    seriously these VPC people need to DIAF

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't own a single sporting gun and never plan to go hunting. Suck my 2nd amendment ;)

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I think most military people would agree, unless they're in a SHTF situation, shooting from the hip is a serious waste of ammo. And when was the last time there was a shooting where a person used an "assualt weapon" to do this? God I hate them.

4. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

well then fuck, lets bring back machine guns if they are less deadly!

5. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

I have never heard ANYONE ever use the term "hose down" as a term for supressing fire, or whatever they were calling it. The only way ive heard that used was in conjunction with a garden hose.

And when the fuck is spray firing from the hip a combat technique? Maybe for those fucking arabs for Iraq, but when is it ever a superior technique to firing from the shoulder? So who the hell is it widely recongnized by? The Million Mom March? Beucase thats where I get all my shooting postion tips from. :ugh:

6. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

:ugh:

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Its recognized in Hollywood, where most of the jerkoffs from the VPC and even the general population get their retarded gun misconceptions.

8. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I thought it was hilarious that the VPCs argument that .50 rifles are used in lots of crimes was basically just a list people arrested for other things who were later found to be in possession of one. I think there were maybe 5 crimes they managed to find where the gun may actually have been fired.

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

WTF does that link go to? Not the article.

10. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

Yet,another reason to buy/build more.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

12. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:rofl:

13. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

the reason i own an AR15 and a "tactical" shotgun is because i enjoy shooting weapons that give the look, feel, and response of our militarys' weapons....its kinda like the whole experience & fun factor....i remember growin up watchin desert storm on CNN (haha) and seeing various movies and tv shows regarding the army and stuff and always seeing those venerable M16's over everybodys shoulder. I always wondered what the hell those things musta been like to shoot...when i became of age and realized they had those rifles available i wanted one and bought one when i saved up enough.

for me, it has nothing to do w/ "because i can" or "because its evil"....i like assault style rifles cuz they give me the experience.
    as for hi-cap mags.....more time between having to reload? :)

14. farrelly

farrelly New Member

Well they did see it in pictures and diagrams, so I think they know what theyr'e talking about.

15. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Gun control is kind of like Minority Report... Putting people in jail for crimes they haven't commited vs. taking people guns away even though they'll never use them in a crime.

Actually, it's worse than Minority Report because we don't have any psychics. We have psychos like the Brady group, but not psychics.

16. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I can't believe there are people out there who are so threatened by the ability to own "assault weapons." It is pretty pathetic. If they took a step back and saw what they were actually typing/saying, I think that most people would realize that they are full of shit.

17. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

So, what, they would rather that people took aim and made their shots more accurate/more deadly?

18. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

They must have gone on Arfcom and seen the vids that people post of themselves bump firing AKs. If those fucks want to make guns illegal then I want to make reporting without substantial facts to back it up illegal as well.

19. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

fucking left-wingers

20. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Always remember:

Gun control isn't about guns; it's about CONTROL.

Power is the currency of governments, which are in the business of gaining and keeping power, and attracts people who crave it. Guns in the hands of the people represent power not under the control of the government, and power that can be used against a government. People who crave power don't like that.

Remember, kids, it's all about consolidation of power. Tint your lenses that color, and wear them every time you look at a gun control argument.

21. Accord

Accord New Member

Wouldn't that be ironic :bowrofl:

22. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

If I had a sub I'd sig that shit :o

23. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

So what have gun control advocates just taught us?

1. Machine guns should be allowed for easier ownership.
    2. Shooting from the hip is the coolest.
    3. Real hunters use their bare hands.
    4. Some people are so afraid of the empowerment of others and their own inability to posess self reliance that they will straight up lie to you.
    5. Big Brother NEVER means us any harm. :hsugh:

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:werd:

25. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I've always been afraid that someone would shoot Sarah Brady, it would make her into a martyr for gun control. I hope someone stabs her. Though I wouldn't be surprised if her family tried to claim it was a shooting.