Semi-recent games the scope of Daggerfall?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Surgie, May 25, 2009.

1. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

Was having a convo with a friend who's getting back into Oblivion, and brought back some good memories of playing Daggerfall back in the day and just how fucking big the world was... just curious if there's any other games that have come out in the last 6 or 7 years that had that seem feeling?

I know there was that tamriel rebuilt project that was shooting to build a bigger part of the elder scrolls universe, but not going to limit myself to just that universe... and even then I think they were just going for a larger oblivion or morrowind style of setting, and not the ten thousand towns and hundred of thousands of npcs kind :o

2. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

MMO's

3. Surgie

Single player... and not necessarily a first person RPG, but I'd imagine anything that size would still be rpg'ish.

And I'd guess most mmo's (mainstream ones, at least) would still pale compared to Daggerfall... Eve is the main one I've seen that has a true sense of scale to it, but not really looking for a space-based game.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

5. Dargone

Dargone Noob

Sacred 2 is supposed to be huge...

6. Surgie

Thanks, I'll have to check this one out :bigthumb:

7. Surgie

Looks like biggest in a console game, at 5560 sq. mi... daggerfall is estimated at ~62,394 sq. mi. to put that in perspective :o

May just have to load up ol' dosbox and get daggerfall again, it had it's problems but always loved just having more places to go than you could possibly ever visit (even if they were largely the same buildings in a random order :o ).

8. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Jeebus :eek3:... that's huge. But I guess it isn't too hard to do if most of the areas are randomized. Still impressive though

9. gensix

gensix New Member

darn i kinda wanna try daggerfall now

10. Surgie

I always just liked finding some random town with nothing of note on its own, but then making it your home... and occassionally you'd come across something on the map you never noticed there before, always liked finding a new witch's coven for instance, etc.

Can definitely understand why Bethesda went away from such a large (but randomly generated for most part) world for morrowind and oblivion, but god Oblivion would've rocked so hard if Imperial City actually had a few hundred buildings and thousands of npcs in it, and there were a few hundred towns speckled around a huge huge province instead of a couple dozen.

11. Surgie

I've got some pretty heavy nostalgia for it, it had plenty of downsides even at the time with bugs and such... still, would love to have a modern version of it.

Just another quick memory before I head off... most of the walled towns would close their gates after night, so if you were a vampire and were out of town when that happened you'd have to climb over these 40 foot completely vertical stone walls to get back to your home before the sun came out :mamoru:

12. sony

sony Active Member

sacred 2 is enormous

13. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

Daggerfall is one of those games that will always stand out in my mind as one of the big examples of why I prefer western RPGs to Japanese ones.

14. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'd be willing to bet X3 is bigger than all SP games. It's a space sim and you can fly in all 3 dimensions for a long time and there are over 100 different solar systems to explore.

15. Surgie

Think I'll give X3 a look, not exactly what I was looking for here but absolutely loved Privateer and Freelancer and looks like it's along the same vain as those :coold:

16. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Elder Scrolls: Arena was effing huge too. It would take months to travel across the world if you didn't quick travel.

17. Daria

Daria New Member

I've always wanted to try out Daggerfall. I think I will now.

18. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

I remember hearing that Daggerfall was equivalent in simulated sq. km to all of England. :eek3:

Although I would take a smaller but more detailed environment like Oblivion over a huge but simple one like Daggerfall. With the advent of Bluray, they'll soon be able to create an environment as big as Daggerfall with modern detail and graphics. It's just going to take a while to develop.

19. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

This. I bought this on PS 3 on Sat and have near 20 hours into it already. This game is so epic. Its Diablo meets Oblivion. It is one of the best games I have played in awhile.

20. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

It's sort of like Freelancer but without restrictions.

Here's the thing about X games, the main story usually sucks ass and many people just ignore it and do whatever they want.

The game never ends so has the scope of an MMORPG but there's no multiplayer and sometimes it's really difficult to get into.

My strongest recommendation is to get into the community via their forums. They have one of the best communities of any game and there TONS of helpful stuff. Stick with the learning curve and you'll be sucked in and spending many hours in the game. I like their games but I think they could use some easier/shallower learning curves.